PDA

View Full Version : 1190RX Electrical issues.

Maratio
06-03-2017, 08:07 AM
So I was riding my 1190RX last night and the dash blacked out. I pulled over and turned the bike off. The dash would not turn back on and the bike would not turn over. I towed it back to the house. This morning I found out that if I turned it over to the left past the steering lock the dash would turn on. I was able to see two codes pop up.

P0511 Idle Air Control
And
U0001 Communications Error

Has anyone else had this issue?
Any help is appreciated!

Sparky
06-04-2017, 01:11 AM
That sounds like an electrical break in the wiring in the wire harness around the steering neck. This is similar to what can happen to some of the other Buell (XB & 1125) bikes.

Maratio
06-04-2017, 03:56 AM
So just pull the plastic off and check wires?

Hughlysses
06-04-2017, 05:38 AM
So just pull the plastic off and check wires?

Yes, you may have to partially unwrap the wiring harness to find the issue. Turn the bike on and (assuming the display is working) start wiggling/tugging on wires until you duplicate the problem. That should help you to identify the broken wire. You may find something obvious like a pinched wire or one partially pulled out of a connector, or it may not be very obvious.

Maratio
06-04-2017, 07:13 AM
The display only works when the key is turned all the way to the left, I'll check for pinched wires and loose connections.

Mike
06-05-2017, 10:48 PM
You don't need the word..."So" to start a sentence. Not, "so" good a word to start a sentence with.

You may have to pull a few connector apart too. If they are wiggling and loosing contact...
Check under the steering head, where the wire harness(s) goes "into" the frame.

Mike

Cooter
06-05-2017, 11:04 PM
So close....

Maratio
06-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, I've been working with the EBR Tech and we think it might be the starter solenoid.

dpriece
06-18-2017, 07:09 PM
hey, did the starter solenoid end up being the problem? I'm having an issue now where the bike just stopped running and now when I try to start, I only get a single click then nothing. Did you have a similar situation?

Maratio
06-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Haven't received the part yet sadly. I just get a click from the relays but that's it.

dpriece
06-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Did you end up ordering directly from EBR? I see a used option on ebay but that seems like a wash since the production date is from 2013 and nccr seems to have it at around $212 plus whatever costs required to get it to the states which may not be bad.

I'm going to try pulling my starter apart this week to see if I can rebuild and reseal it. Will let you know if I have any luck.

EBRRider
06-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Have you checked the Batt connections, need to be clean and tight. What year ? did you do a load test on Batt ? How old is the Batt ? Have you tried jump starting the bike with cables ?

Maratio
06-18-2017, 10:00 PM
It's a warranty free part. And I have tried all that without luck.

Sparky
06-19-2017, 01:03 AM
Some of the '014 EBRs had defective starters that would allow water and contamination to corrode the starter brushes which results in a "click and no-start" condition when pressing the Start button. If yours is an '014 bike that could be the starting problem.

One way to verify this condition is to put a voltmeter lead on the starter electrical post to see +12 VDC and "no cranking" when pressing the Start button.

But the good news is the starter can be easily repaired by cleaning up around the brushes area and resealing the end caps with RTV.

Maratio
06-19-2017, 01:17 AM
Its a 2017 model.

Sparky
06-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Maratio, do the test anyhow.

Maratio
06-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Where is the starter located?

EBRRider
06-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Where is the starter located?
Its right behind the front header above the oil cooler in the front of the engine.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/768056.html?1470797070

Subarubrat
06-20-2017, 11:24 PM
How topical, today after a short ride in the dry the EBR refused to start, I tapped the starter and got it going to get me home. (My EBR is a 2014 RX with 2k miles and 4 months out of the crate) It was easier than advertised, I didn't have to pull the header or radiator to get the end cap off so that I could remove the corrosion, grease, and seal with RTV. It took about 2 hours from start to finish.

buell-fan
06-24-2017, 09:08 AM
How topical, today after a short ride in the dry the EBR refused to start, I tapped the starter and got it going to get me home. (My EBR is a 2014 RX with 2k miles and 4 months out of the crate) It was easier than advertised, I didn't have to pull the header or radiator to get the end cap off so that I could remove the corrosion, grease, and seal with RTV. It took about 2 hours from start to finish.

So, had the bike been ridden on wet rainy roads in it 4 months?

Subarubrat
06-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Probably about 300 miles in the wet, which was all it took, but should be no repeats with it sealed up now. So before anyone drops a pile of cash on a new starter, it is a quick and easy fix to sort out what is there.

dpriece
06-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Probably about 300 miles in the wet, which was all it took, but should be no repeats with it sealed up now. So before anyone drops a pile of cash on a new starter, it is a quick and easy fix to sort out what is there.

+1

You beat me to it. It really was that simple, pull apart the starter, clean out with electrical cleaner, make sure the brushes move and reseal. My starter went after the first time in the rain with only 450 miles on it.

Like Subaraurat said, 2 hours and a lot of money saved.

dpriece
06-26-2017, 06:31 AM
Also, I should mention, you do not need to remove the radiators, just fairings, fan shrouds, and fan. The radiators can be loosened and moved out of the way to get to the starter. The starter access bolts are on the right side of the bike if you are sitting on it. I mistakenly started on the left and got myself some extra practice :rolleyes: