PDA

View Full Version : Piggy back ECM chip

MakingPAIN
05-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Hey smarter than the average bear people's.. I seen a piggy back chip made by some chinesium company called magnum dyno boost. Seems to have good reviews. So if you took one of these things and slapped it in a stock ECM and built your own header back system, would this chip be able to manipulate the tune enough to work??? Or get a Dean A chip and put this piggy back on that one sense his tune would be closer to a wide open exhaust?? Or they are junk and stay away.. Thanks

buell-fan
05-20-2017, 01:54 PM
The engines in these machines are a touch sensitive to abnormal fueling and spark due to the high compression and are already ran fairly lean with the stock tune, so stick with an IDS tune without trying to supplement it. There have been a few bikes that blew up recently, with the most recent being the victim of being ran too lean with a small single outlet exhaust can and being fueled by the stock fuel and spark map. The EBR team and IDS have created several appropriate and powerful tunes for various exhaust configurations and they should be used accordingly.

MakingPAIN
05-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Check.. Yeah I totally get that these bikes are not some 90 horse motor just waiting on performance parts. I know aftermarket car tuning is to the point of self learning ECM is becoming more common. I wanted to use a HMF or something similar but shortened case and lower under the bike.

MakingPAIN
05-20-2017, 02:09 PM
http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/dyno-boost-motorcycle-performance-chip/buell/ebr-1190rx

EBRRider
05-20-2017, 02:43 PM
The engines in these machines are a touch sensitive to abnormal fueling and spark due to the high compression and are already ran fairly lean with the stock tune, so stick with an IDS tune without trying to supplement it. There have been a few bikes that blew up recently, with the most recent being the victim of being ran too lean with a small single outlet exhaust can and being fueled by the stock fuel and spark map. The EBR team and IDS have created several appropriate and powerful tunes for various exhaust configurations and they should be used accordingly.

^^^^^^^^ good advice ! IDS matched to the pipe.

MakingPAIN
05-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Now I think about it they are probably some chinesium scam crap disguised as something cool and useful to us unknowing. Good call stick with ebr and idspd stuff

Betterbuell
05-21-2017, 12:26 AM
It probably just manipulates the air temp sensor to add extra fuel across the rev range , not rocket science . Fat duc do this too.

d_adams
05-21-2017, 06:11 AM
This is a direct quote from the owner of the company that makes the ecm for Buell & EBR, they've been at it since 1999.

"‎Tim Blomenberg‎ to EBR 1190 Owners Group
3 hrs · Decatur, IN ·
EBR owners, listen up. This is not a sales pitch, but an attempt to get the truth out there to keep you and your bike on the road! I've seen quite a few posts lately about guys that have changed their exhaust, and continued to run the stock ECM or even a performance ECM not properly matched to their replacement exhaust (be it secondary muffler delete, Adams, HMF, APH, or others). The owner thinks it's "safe" because the ECM will adapt to the new exhaust as they ride. News flash: The stock ECM for the 1190RX/SX does not "learn" in terms of Air / Fuel Ratio (AFR) as Buells do (to some extent anyway). What you see when you first ride it (on road or dyno) is what you will get consistently (except for changes in engine and air temps, ram air, etc.). Our performance ECMs don't learn AFR's either; they are set up to perform consistently and not change as you ride. What this means is that if your bike is lean (or rich) in spots when you first run it on the dyno, the ECM is not going to fix itself over time! Furthermore, on a dyno, you might be looking at AFRs at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), but you also need to consider part throttle AFRs. The fuel maps have 384 independently-adjustable values for each cylinder. WOT only accounts for 24 of those. A good tune consists of a complete fuel remap, not just WOT! But even more importantly, don't forget about spark advance! The advance curves on the stock ECM are much different than those on our performance ECMs. When you change the pipe, you radically affect the engine's optimal spark advance, and if you don't correct that quickly, you WILL do engine damage from too much advance, even at part throttle. A performance ECM developed specifically for your exhaust configuration is critical to engine life, and it's a small price to pay compared to an engine rebuild!
— at Intelligent Design Solutions (IDS)."

MakingPAIN
05-21-2017, 10:56 AM
The more you know......

MakingPAIN
05-21-2017, 11:03 AM
I have only "tuned" carburated cars and bikes with hei and points... so I see the timing table and 60ish number, that's not spark advancement is it? I know these Bikes bikes are 13:4.1 compression but most of us only run 91 fuel. That's like full blown race motors when that comes to old Chevy and olds motors I work on..

d_adams
05-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Yes, but it's at almost 12000 rpm in that section of the table. 91 octane fuel is the lowest you'd want to run in this bike, I try to find 93 whenever I can. Most stations around me have it.

MakingPAIN
05-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Yeah there are pumps with 95 and 100vp race fuel here in phoenix. I run 95 as much as possible

muleman
05-21-2017, 10:32 PM
For 300 bucks for a ecm with a tune and great vendor support from IDS. Why bother with anything else. 13.4.1 compression on pump 91 is tricky enough. For a bolt on map I am super happy with my IDS race tune.

MakingPAIN
05-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Muleman... what tune did you get ids?? And your comparison to stock?? Like fueling issues at cruise speeds and smoothness throughout the tune

d_adams
05-22-2017, 04:14 PM
I run this tune (although it's on a programmable ecm, not this specific one) http://idspd.com/xcart/ebr-1190rx-sx-ecm-for-adams-exhaust.html

with this

EBRRider
05-22-2017, 04:32 PM
I run Deans tune also on this bike with a APH can.Thanks for the great tune Dean, http://idspd.com/xcart/ebr-1190rx-sx...s-exhaust.html (http://idspd.com/xcart/ebr-1190rx-sx-ecm-for-adams-exhaust.html)

MakingPAIN
05-22-2017, 05:30 PM
EBRrider... I know when I got this bike I was talking to You about not upgrading it but now I have to make it louder. When your girls 300 is louder than your bike its time.. I see your aph has the stock trim bolted on. You make those tabs and weld them on for mounting or did aph do that.. looks trick...

MakingPAIN
05-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Mr adams.. this could be a very novice question but does the ecm on these Bikes adjust tune for altitude and ambient temp? Because the more I read these computers are very stable and don't adjust much. So here it is I guess if your tune was made at sea level, and say me takes that tune and runs it at 1200 feet all the way up to 8500 feet like up north would I see fueling issues or the ecm will move the calibration to the new parameters.

EBRRider
05-22-2017, 05:44 PM
EBRrider... I know when I got this bike I was talking to You about not upgrading it but now I have to make it louder. When your girls 300 is louder than your bike its time.. I see your aph has the stock trim bolted on. You make those tabs and weld them on for mounting or did aph do that.. looks trick...

Came that way.It is Louder than any 300 , Bam! 1461

MakingPAIN
05-22-2017, 05:48 PM
I like it what does that set up run i know the ecm is 300 from Dean A.... does he make a sx version with tabs for body work??????

EBRRider
05-22-2017, 05:59 PM
I like it what does that set up run i know the ecm is 300 from Dean A.... does he make a sx version with tabs for body work??????

About the same or close $625. plus IDS ecm with Deans tune $300.

muleman
05-23-2017, 04:13 AM
I have the IDS tune for Dean Adams exhaust and (44th) A round Dean Adams pipe with 44th rear. Drive ability is way better than stock tune. Throttle response is insane. Well worth the money IMO. Last bike was a 08 B-King with boz bro exhaust, Power Commander V.

d_adams
05-23-2017, 02:14 PM
I have the IDS tune for Dean Adams exhaust and (44th) A round Dean Adams pipe with 44th rear. Drive ability is way better than stock tune. Throttle response is insane. Well worth the money IMO. Last bike was a 08 B-King with boz bro exhaust, Power Commander V.

That throttle response was several months worth of back and forth tuning with IDS, along with a few dyno runs thrown in for good measure.

EBRRider
05-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Drive ability is way better than stock tune. Throttle response is insane. Well worth the money IMO Thank you Dean you are the Best !!!!!!!Throttle response is insane ,Throttle response is insane. Did I already say this ?? :badass::badass::badass::FIREdevil::FIREdevil::AR1 5firing::AR15firing::deadly::deadly:

Davem3racer
05-23-2017, 02:29 PM
I cannot wait for my Dean Adams Exhaust to show up!!!

MakingPAIN
05-23-2017, 02:46 PM
thats it........my mind is made up DEANS sx exhaust with a 44 tooth sprocket and ecm..... thanks guys you helped out a sale for him....

EBRRider
05-23-2017, 05:49 PM
thats it........my mind is made up DEANS sx exhaust with a 44 tooth sprocket and ecm..... thanks guys you helped out a sale for him....

Doing those mods, your bike is going a have he best Throttle response, and it will be scary fast, in a good way. Mark my words.!!!!

d_adams
05-23-2017, 05:57 PM
One potential downside though, keep in mind, it WILL be loud. I pull no punches with this, I designed it as a race use item and tuned it as such. If you're even somewhat wishy-washy, don't buy it. I know I'll lose a sale or two because of this, but I don't want anyone walking into this unprepared and then have a hissyfit because it's louder than they thought it would be.

Davem3racer
05-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Loud is what I am anticipating. Looking forward to it actually.

MakingPAIN
05-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Loud is good .. my 1978 gs750 is louder than my sx... my big deal was getting the ecm and not liking the tune and not being able to write over it. Then buy a programmable one then dyno tune it and it be wishy washy.. I don't want to fvck this bike up because of a aftermarket part it kinda comes down to... don't get me wrong I love building power into a motor I have lots of toys but this one is out of my tuning knowledge area.. so it is scary hearing about people detonating these Bikes mostly because of their actions.

d_adams
05-23-2017, 09:08 PM
If it's of any value for you, I spent thousands of my own money developing the tune. Yes, you read that right, THOUSANDS.

buell-fan
05-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Loud is good .. my 1978 gs750 is louder than my sx... my big deal was getting the ecm and not liking the tune and not being able to write over it. Then buy a programmable one then dyno tune it and it be wishy washy.. I don't want to fvck this bike up because of a aftermarket part it kinda comes down to... don't get me wrong I love building power into a motor I have lots of toys but this one is out of my tuning knowledge area.. so it is scary hearing about people detonating these Bikes mostly because of their actions.

These bikes grenading the engine is few and far between. They have good tunes if you stick with the proper exhaust and accompanying tune. And you can have a dyno tuner change the tune in the race ecm, but because each tune has been made well the extra gains are minimal and probably not going to be able to be utilized on the road anyway.

muleman
05-23-2017, 10:13 PM
I have a 82 gs-850 with 8in straight through mufflers that is pretty loud. I cant even hear it run next to my Dean Adam EBR. That being said, I still love the Exhaust.

MakingPAIN
05-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Dean look at this place and the other buell forums your like a rock star for exhaust everyone likes your product. Just look up there^^^^^. I started this thread to just to stir the knowledge pot. I didn't see any info about these ecm piggy back things, now people know.. and I made a exhaust choice out of it. :thumb:

MakingPAIN
05-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Muleman.. 1982 Gs cool bike I like the 4 valve motors and cv carbs.. I haven't tinkered a lot with them but still cool.. You like the shaft drive?? Never road one yet..

Davem3racer
05-24-2017, 03:09 PM
If it's of any value for you, I spent thousands of my own money developing the tune. Yes, you read that right, THOUSANDS.

--

That throttle response was several months worth of back and forth tuning with IDS, along with a few dyno runs thrown in for good measure.

--

And this is why I chose to purchase from you Dean.