PDA

View Full Version : Modification recommendations

xenno92
04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Its time to spoil my 2014 sx. Ive had it stock for a while and been meaning to change it up.
Anyone have recommendations for any fender kits, mirros, sliders, exhaust..whatever! Haha

Thanks!

buell-fan
04-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Tech Specs grip kit is awesome! It is much cooler on the legs than being on the smooth hot gas tank. Frame sliders can actually wreck your frame far worse that what might otherwise happen in a crash/slide, so be mindful of that when spending a hundred bucks on them. There are a couple decent choices of exhaust. The most popular is the Dean Adams can. The APH Performance Exhaust is awesome in that the guy uses quality light weight stainless as well as has welds that look like they are done on a robotic arm! The HMF exhaust is a bit quieter than the two aforementioned, and brings the can up where secondary can mounts. All three have good tunes available as well. Bar end mirrors off eBay will get those rabbit ears off the front of the bike for sure!

http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/buell.html.

EBRRider
04-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Its time to spoil my 2014 sx. Ive had it stock for a while and been meaning to change it up.
Anyone have recommendations for any fender kits, mirros, sliders, exhaust..whatever! Haha

Thanks!

Ok, since you asked , I have ,CRG mirror, Fiber twisted design Tail and block off cover, 5-0dro sliders, Dean Adams Tune, APH dual exhaust, 43 tooth rear, passenger strap removed. And a rear seat cowl on order.

johnnybuell
04-19-2017, 07:11 PM
how do you like that 43 tooth sprocket? does the 43 work with the stock ecm?

EBRRider
04-19-2017, 07:27 PM
I really, Like it you can actually use 6th gear, And dont have to feather the clutch so much to take off. Yes, Works with the stock ECM and chain.

johnnybuell
04-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Thanks . Just got mine yesterday already ordered dean adams exhaust not sure if i want the 44 or 43 tooth sprocket. i went with the undertail twisted designs tidy. Have not decided on bar end mirrors yet. crg lane splitters or arrows. kinda like the lane splitters but really have not seen them on an sx yet.

EBRRider
04-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Thanks . Just got mine yesterday already ordered dean adams exhaust not sure if i want the 44 or 43 tooth sprocket. i went with the undertail twisted designs tidy. Have not decided on bar end mirrors yet. crg lane splitters or arrows. kinda like the lane splitters but really have not seen them on an sx yet.

I will take a pic for you tomorrow. if you would like. If you go with a 43 or a 44 it will take a diff ECM for each.

pittmeister
04-19-2017, 09:49 PM
16mm clutch master was a great improvement on stock if you don't have the reduced effort kit. I threw on an RCS 16 I picked up for cheap on one of the forums and, though it isn't feather light, it's much more manageable.

xenno92
04-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Sweet! Ive been looking at dean adam's website. Definitely going with either something from him or APH.
I'll have pics soon too!

Newb question since we are here. My 2nd service is coming up. Would it be more efficient to get that done and have my exhaust and cat converter? And too be honest im not too sure about the ECM tuning? Does some come prepare to install or is that something you have to get tuned up?

Thanks for the recommendations!

EBRRider
04-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Sweet! Ive been looking at dean adam's website. Definitely going with either something from him or APH.
I'll have pics soon too!

Newb question since we are here. My 2nd service is coming up. Would it be more efficient to get that done and have my exhaust and cat converter? And too be honest im not too sure about the ECM tuning? Does some come prepare to install or is that something you have to get tuned up?

Thanks for the recommendations!

http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1323-Dean-Adams-SX-oval-exhaust Here is a great deal!!

PADicus1487
04-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Definitely get Deans exhaust. Killer price compared to other bikes I've owned and no bike around town will sound as good as yours with it, I assure you. Thumps like the V Twin beast it was built to be! I got the exhaust with 44T sprocket and matching tune and the bike is honestly perfect now, couldn't ask for anything more!

qurtrn10
04-20-2017, 09:09 PM
I agree with the main options already listed - Twisted Designs bracket, CRG Arrows, and Dean Adams (I have all three on my SX).

Other than those...

Send in dash for update.

Replace starter if yours is made in July 2014 or earlier.

On a SX, I don't particularly like the look of the exhaust pipe showing, so I bought a stock bellypan for a RX and will be adding that to the SX. Then I think I'll have the best of both worlds.

I always like the front brake scoop of the RX, so I ordered that from EBR. Very happy with it and very cheap.

Remove all those warning stickers. Lol

Adding the accessory power socket makes it much easier to go on long rides. I can now run a gps while I ride or at least charge my phone so it doesn't die when I'm far from home.

When you remove your rear turn signals, you can swap them up to the front. They tuck in tighter to the bike.

Although not without compromise, I have the T-Rex sliders. If the bike gets knocked over in a parking lot or by me being stupid in my garage, I'm hoping it will save some damage. In a bigger wreck, it could cause frame damage, but I'm imagining that even without the frame sliders, a wreck at speed would have frame damage anyway.

Of course, it's a matter of taste, but I've done a decent bit of carbon fiber on mine from Bestem, and I get a lot of compliments on it from other bikers.

When you take off the stock mirrors, you'll need (2) M10 x 1.25 bolts. It's not a very common size, so make sure to pick them up before you get started. I could only find them in 20mm length, which was too long, so I had to cut them down with a grinder.

If you do long rides, you might like the Knight designs drop pegs. I don't have them, but a friend of mine does and he is very happy with them.

Before:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/IMAG44731_zpsiwmpoitn.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/IMAG44731_zpsiwmpoitn.jpg.html)

After:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/2017-02-07%20-%20Dean%20Adams%202_zpsiu41sbht.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/2017-02-07%20-%20Dean%20Adams%202_zpsiu41sbht.jpg.html)

EBRRider
04-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Very nice! :thumb:

johnnybuell
04-21-2017, 08:35 PM
do you have a better pic of those arrow mirrors fro drivers position. I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE PIPE EXPOSED. JUST BLACK CERAMIC COAT IT.

johnnybuell
04-21-2017, 08:43 PM
What type of issues do they have with the starters?

EBRRider
04-21-2017, 08:48 PM
What type of issues do they have with the starters?

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/768056.html?1470797070

qurtrn10
04-21-2017, 08:56 PM
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/768056.html?1470797070

This tech update was released by EBR after that thread. "1190 Starter Update Info!
The manufacturer of the 1190 RX/SX starter made a quality improvement to the seal to address the water intrusion / corrosion issues many owners have been experiencing. The starter has a sticker with a date code on it formatted YYYY/MM/DD. The improvement was implemented on the lot with the date code 2014/07/29 Everything with that date code and newer had the improvement. See attached photo of the sticker. "

johnnybuell
04-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Great info. Thanks. i will check it out tomorrow.

Mike
04-23-2017, 10:54 AM
On starter, not necessarily a big deal. My RX starter is within the "bad" date...it's been in the rain for two winters now, with no ill effects.
I see no one has mentioned one of the biggest things to for bike safety, at least engine safety is case covers. No frame protectors will protect the cases properly.

There are two current styles, carbon fiber and a molded plastic. I have both, the carbon fiber on my old 1125CR and the newer plastic ones on my RX. Both are still available I believe.

I could have used them last year. I went down in the rain. The bike slid about 60 yards down the freeway. Ground the left side case almost thru..!
A case guard/cover would have prevented that..!

Mike

xenno92
04-28-2017, 07:46 PM
This is awesome! Thanks so much for this one