PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a new in box EBR 1190RX

Subarubrat
03-02-2017, 12:13 PM
It is a 2014 still in the shipping crate and while I am waiting on delivery I downloaded the user manual and have started looking at what I might want to do to the bike. A few questions have come to mind so I wanted to get the communities advice. I love my air cooled Buell but I wanted something with more performance and I can't imagine needing more than the 1190 offers.

1. The manual seems very specific about Amsoil, which of course is not easily found. Are owners using Amsoil and if so is there a good online source for a case?

2. When it arrives I need to send them the ECU and the display for a software update and to have them load the tune for the secondary muffler delete, does this tune work well with a cat delete? And, does anyone make a cat delete kit?

3. What sort of traction control setting is good for casual street use?

4. Are there any must do updates or tweaks? I ordered the tail tidy and will install that.

d_adams
03-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Order oil direct from Amsoil? Seems pretty easy to me. Several guys I know are dealers, Ryan is one.

No, the update is not absolutely required for the dash. It will work fine as it sits.
There isn't a tune for a "cat" delete per se, it would then become a full race exhaust and yes, a tune IS required.

Anything in the middle. If it's dry out and you're new to the bike, 7-13 works well.

It's your bike, do what you want to it. :)

Hughlysses
03-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Be sure and adjust the suspension by the owner's manual. EBR's, just like the Buells that came before them, are sensitive to suspension adjustment.

TerryS1980
03-03-2017, 07:10 AM
3+ years with same oil and coolant. I would change it right away.

You are confusing the secondary muffler with "cat". Yes you can get a secondary muffler delete.

I mostly do casual riding and used kept TC on 3. Most of the time it's only doing it's thing on deceleration. It stays off now.

If you want to make the bike really fun install a 44t sprocket and new chain.

d_adams
03-03-2017, 08:17 AM
IDS will not flash a race tune onto a stock ecm for $50. They _will_ sell you a race ecm programmed for whatever you like with an exchange of the core from yours though. I am currently not selling the tips kit, EBR has them available. http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/parts-accessories/exhaust/exhaust-finish-kit-with-race-ecm.html

TerryS1980
03-03-2017, 08:27 AM
For $300 more they can get your setup. The ECM/Tip kit from EBR is way overpriced.

Better off buying ECM from IDS and getting tips from exhaust shop.

noone1569
03-03-2017, 08:40 AM
As Dean said, I can get you amsoil at a deep discount, shoot me a PM

Subarubrat
03-03-2017, 09:24 PM
3+ years with same oil and coolant. I would change it right away.

You are confusing the secondary muffler with "cat". Yes you can get a secondary muffler delete.

I mostly do casual riding and used kept TC on 3. Most of the time it's only doing it's thing on deceleration. It stays off now.

If you want to make the bike really fun install a 44t sprocket and new chain.

Not confusing the two, I plan to do the secondary muffler delete, and am interested in removing the cats as well.

Now, you mention the 44t sprocket, even EBR brought this up when I called about the update, is this ratio change (if you don't care about a crazy top out) a must do config?

Kid Thunder
03-04-2017, 12:24 AM
You won't believe the difference the 44t will make. Much easier to ride in the city & you might even be able to get into 6th gear on the highway.

Subarubrat
03-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Great tip off on the IDS ECU programming; http://idspd.com/xcart/ebr-tm-1190rx-ecm-secondary-muffler-delete-short.html

A few questions on that and how it interacts with the display. If I send my display to EBR for update, and from the improvements listed it sounds like I would want to, will it work with the IDS ECU? Can EBR update the display without sending them my ECU, they seemed to suggest they were paired in some way. I just want to be sure if I order the IDS ECU and send my display to EBR for update that I will have a working setup.

This is THE kit for the 44T gearing correct? http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/parts-accessories/chain-drive/low-gearing-kit.html

buell-fan
03-04-2017, 01:36 PM
As said, it isn't required to "update" the dash. I would not do it based on the percentage of people who have updated them and had a fault shortly thereafter versus the people who have just had a faulty dash that weren't "upgraded. That said, if you order the fully programmable ecm from IDS you can change sprockets and exhaust pipe configurations at will and then reprogram the ecm to the sprocket and exhaust tune.

Classax
03-05-2017, 08:49 AM
For $300 more they can get your setup. The ECM/Tip kit from EBR is way overpriced.

Better off buying ECM from IDS and getting tips from exhaust shop.

I support IDS whole heartedly, and I'm all for keeping as much of my own money in my own pockets, and if you get something cheaper go ahead, but for crying out loud quit with the overpriced stuff. IDS nor you local exhaust shop has any development cost they need to recoup so yes they can be cheaper. They don't have to stock thousands of parts for future repairs so yeah they can be cheaper. They don't have to carry the overhead of an R&D and Production staff or pay for EPA testing. GENUINE EBR parts are more expensive because those dollars have to cover a whole lot more. Are they expensive? YES but probably not nearly as costly as not having a bike out there on the market or trying to do a one of.

Rant over.

Subarubrat
03-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Tail tidy kit, IDS ECU, 44T sprocket and chain, and some stubbie exhaust tips on hand, just waiting on the bike now, the dealer seems to take days to accomplish what should be done in hours so I am still waiting for the pickup but it will happen.

majette
03-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Tail tidy kit, IDS ECU, 44T sprocket and chain, and some stubbie exhaust tips on hand, just waiting on the bike now, the dealer seems to take days to accomplish what should be done in hours so I am still waiting for the pickup but it will happen.

where in va are you?

Subarubrat
03-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Bealeton, about an hour west of DC.

majette
03-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Bealeton, about an hour west of DC. cool! i am in Norfolk, there are at least two other EBR's in this area.

Subarubrat
04-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Despite being a bit of a cluster F and taking a month to get the bike on the truck delivery is scheduled for sometime in the next 3 days, finally. One thing that burned up a week or so was fussing about the dimensions of the box, which was how it was supposed to ship, then the shipper shows up and says "Yeah, we won't accept crated bikes." So they had to uncrate it and ship it, or reschedule for another shipper and fight this one for a refund etc. so I took the low hanging fruit and and said go ahead and unbox it. I am hoping those cool Buell straps make the trip.

EBRRider
04-04-2017, 04:28 PM
With that being said, I would guess you are dealing with haulbikes.com ? Been there done that!! They are Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.:lame:

qurtrn10
04-05-2017, 11:31 PM
I would be calling ahead to ask whether the straps made it on the truck with the bike or whether the dealer will be sending them to you separately.

Don't forget the canyon dancers and crate cover as well. The crate cover makes for good garage art...and you paid for it. :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/0826161236_zpsfo3c8vds.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/0826161236_zpsfo3c8vds.jpg.html)

qurtrn10
04-05-2017, 11:41 PM
Your list of mods looks good. The only other thing I'd add to it would be taller smoked windscreen and mirrors. I hated the stock square mirrors on my RX. I swapped them out for the 1125R mirrors available from any HD dealership. Better look and integrated turn signals. The windscreen makes it much easier to get out of the wind at speed.

Before:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR%20Number%202/0921161319_zpsqfcrvt29.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR%20Number%202/0921161319_zpsqfcrvt29.jpg.html)
After:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR%20Number%202/2016-10-04%20-%20EBR%20taller%20smoked%20windscreen%208_zpsaaytx loq.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR%20Number%202/2016-10-04%20-%20EBR%20taller%20smoked%20windscreen%208_zpsaaytx loq.jpg.html)

Subarubrat
04-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Every bit of crap to get this bike was totally worth it. It was delivered Thursday in the midst of a energetic line of thunderstorms. Over the weekend I have put 320 miles on it working through the break in period by the book and I already love the thing! I installed the new ECU and some stubbies that it is tuned for and started riding as much as I could.

Getting the thing, despite every bit of negative Haulbikes info that is out there they made it from the dealer to my door in 6 days, clearly a function of location and the heavier flow of bikes in the spring, but the fact is they did it in 6 days from MA to VA. The delay was all due to the dealer, it took a freaking month from start until it got on the truck. I won't name them, nor will I say they are dishonest or rude because they were none of those things. However, they were completely incapable of doing any parallel tasks, every step had to happen only after the prior step was done. While I responded in under 2 hours to every email most things from them took at least 3~5 days. This went on right up until the end when the bike was delivered on Thursday and they mailed all the ownership documents for registration on the same day it arrived, adding another week until I can get it registered. That didn't stop me from riding it though, I did an online transit tag and hit the road!

qurtrn10
04-10-2017, 12:51 AM
Glad it all worked out in the end. Ride it as much as you can, and post pics - we love pics!

GI Joe w/X1 Grip
04-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Did you actually go to the dealership to negotiate or was the transaction done over the phone?