PDA

View Full Version : Front brake rotor & mounting kit

Kid Thunder
02-15-2017, 01:04 AM
I was wondering if the front brake rotor from an XB or 1125 bike fit an 1190SX/RX. Also what is the brake hardware kit for on the EBR parts site? Is it needed every time you remove rotor or is it an upgrade?
Thanks

d_adams
02-15-2017, 07:21 AM
In theory, yes, you could use an older style rotor, but why would you? The EBR slotted rotor is considered an upgrade from the xb/1125 rotors, so you'd be going backwards from a performance standpoint. They do recommend replacing the hardware, it's considered a wear item, especially the bushings. Inspect the bushings and the cut-outs on the rotor for deformities or wear, replace the rotor as required. Race track use will accelerate this. Carefully chase the threads in the wheel to clean out the old white loctite, either use contact cleaner or compressed air (wear safety glasses please) to clear the holes. Make sure the new hardware is torqued to spec. No, I don't have that handy at the moment, but it's posted online in several places and also in the service manual.

The rotor from EBR is $373, the hardware kit is $109.

Kid Thunder
02-15-2017, 05:04 PM
I just got that message from EBR tech. You are correct that the rotor will fit but should not be used because of changes in the rotor. Also they said that the hardware should be replaced every time the rotor is removed.
Good to know.
What about an aftermarket rotor like Galfer/EBC?

C. Dolan
02-16-2017, 03:13 AM
I just got that message from EBR tech. You are correct that the rotor will fit but should be used because of changes in the rotor. Also they said that the hardware should be replaced every time the rotor is removed.
Good to know.
What about an aftermarket rotor like Galfer/EBC?

Braking wave rotor from Ebay for around $ 250.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331445721045?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vEEAAOSwGYVW-A65/s-l500.jpg

TerryS1980
02-16-2017, 08:21 AM
I loved the sound my Galfer rotor made when stopping. It would be ok for street use but probably not good for any track use. The Braking and Galfer are about 1mm thinner than the EBR rotor. Also it has been proven that slotted rotors out perform drilled or drilled/slotted.