PDA

View Full Version : 2017 model year EBRs?

Hughlysses
02-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Has anyone here purchased a 2017 EBR? Apparently new motorcycles were being produced at least through last week, but I haven't seen any 2017 models listed for sale on the dealers' websites. Maybe all of those bikes were "built to order" based on the on-line deposits you could make at EBR.

Led Boots
02-08-2017, 07:57 AM
If I recall correctly, the website listed all '17s as "Make a deposit for March 2017 delivery", which would lead me to believe they were all built to order. Personally, I think LAP used this process as a "Go/No Go" decision moment for EBR. They would announce the new model, do the IMS circuit and see how many orders are generated. If it generated enough orders, they'd keep bike production open, if it did not they'd pull the plug.

Hughlysses
02-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Yea, I think you're right. Apparently the Black Lightning never made it to production, and at least a couple of people who made deposits had their money returned. That backs up your theory.

buell-fan
02-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Hugh, maybe look into whether they even got any epa certifications for the 2017 new model bikes and therefore can't produce them... No certs, no bikes, nothing to do but sell parts for the 700 or so EBR's previously manufactured and actually in existance.

d_adams
02-08-2017, 06:06 PM
It's more like 900-1000 total. The number I'd heard before the initial shutdown was just under 900, roughly 100 produced in the last year.

Bottlelot
02-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Got my 2017 RX last month as a replacement for my 2014 RX.

Hughlysses
02-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Sweet! Congratulations!

1190SX
02-10-2017, 05:05 PM

Cool pic! What exhaust are you running?

Bottlelot
02-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Currently the stock exhaust w/resonator removal and matching ECM from IDS. Looking to go to the Dean Adams full exhaust, but I want to hear one in person before so I can determine how much my neighbors will hate me.

1190SX
02-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Not sure who has one in CA, but I will have one soon. Dean is working on it. I am in Norcal though.

EBRRider
02-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Currently the stock exhaust w/resonator removal and matching ECM from IDS. Looking to go to the Dean Adams full exhaust, but I want to hear one in person before so I can determine how much my neighbors will hate me.

Some neighbors will hate you, others will be envious as me. Do you have the tips on ??

1190SX
02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
I'm pretty sure if they are going to hate me for how loud my motorcycle is, they already do. My other sport bike is LOUD. Not straight piped, very similar design to Deans(smaller muffler body due to fairing constraints), but I think two cylinders lend themselves to open exhausts better than 3 or 4 cylinders. The twins have a nice deep rumble with an open system, the 3 or 4 cylinders are more ear splitting loud. If my neighbors have been able to put up with that, I don't think they will mind the EBR.
I think Dean said his system was around 98 at idle and 110+ at 5000rpms. I had my other sport bike tested and it came in at 107 db at idle 2 feet from the exhaust and 99db from 10 ft behind the bike. Also hit 110db at 5k from 10 ft behind the bike.

d_adams
02-11-2017, 08:15 AM
It's about 1/2 completed as of right now, I had a long 2 days before it and a little more to get done today before it gets finished.

EBRRider
02-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Dean on your web site you have 3 different cans for the SX , what are the differences ,and which is best for scooting around on mountain roads and not too loud?

Thank you in advance.

1190SX
02-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Dean on your web site you have 3 different cans for the SX , what are the differences ,and which is best for scooting around on mountain roads and not too loud?

Thank you in advance.

I think its just two different set-ups with different ECM options (Fully programmable or locked race ECM with Deans tune) One has an oval muffler body, and one has a round muffler body. The programmable ECM is for those who want to further dyno tune or modify the mapping.

I ordered the oval body, as my scientific research indicated oval muffler bodies absorb slightly more sound.

1190SX
02-11-2017, 12:08 PM
It's about 1/2 completed as of right now, I had a long 2 days before it and a little more to get done today before it gets finished.

Sounds good. Don't forget to ride that SX though!

EBRRider
02-11-2017, 12:55 PM
It was picked up Sat , hope to have it Tues, I will be riding it soon !!!! I can taste it .LOL

EBRRider
02-11-2017, 01:04 PM
I think its just two different set-ups with different ECM options (Fully programmable or locked race ECM with Deans tune) One has an oval muffler body, and one has a round muffler body. The programmable ECM is for those who want to further dyno tune or modify the mapping.

I ordered the oval body, as my scientific research indicated oval muffler bodies absorb slightly more sound.

Thank you , I see that now ,I read more. :lol:

bigdexxx
02-11-2017, 02:08 PM
EBRRider: I also went with the oval body exhaust, ordered mine today!

Hughlysses
02-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Hmm, interesting thought.

In vaguely related field, jet engine test cells use a oval cross section exhaust duct/muffler as well. A jet engine test cell is basically a building where they bolt a jet engine down for operational testing. The exhaust from the engine is directed out the back of the building through a long ~10 FT diameter pipe and then against a baffle which directs it upward. The pipe is constructed basically like a big glass pack muffler; with a solid outer shell, a bunch of lead and steel wool, and perforated inner panels. There are also baffled air inlets to the building to provide air to the engine while it's running. The whole idea is to absorb sound so you're not shaking the windows out of nearby buildings while you're testing the engine at WOT. Here's a picture of one i worked on at NAS New Orleans some years ago:

Up until recently, the ducts were oval in cross section. Then somebody did some experiments with a scaled one made with a square cross section, which would be much simpler to fabricate. Turns out the square one did an even better job than the oval one of killing the sound. I'm not sure if they've built one yet; a couple of guys I used to work with were trying to push a project through to build one like this but their boss was EXTREMELY conservative and nixed the idea.

Anyway, it occurs to me, maybe a square cross section muffler would work better at absorbing sound.

OK- who's gonna try the first square cross section muffler? :wink:

EBRRider
02-11-2017, 05:11 PM

In vaguely related field, jet engine test cells use a oval cross section exhaust duct/muffler as well. A jet engine test cell is basically a building where they bolt a jet engine down for operational testing. The exhaust from the engine is directed out the back of the building through a long ~10 FT diameter pipe and then against a baffle which directs it upward. The pipe is constructed basically like a big glass pack muffler; with a solid outer shell, a bunch of lead and steel wool, and perforated inner panels. There are also baffled air inlets to the building to provide air to the engine while it's running. The whole idea is to absorb sound so you're not shaking the windows out of nearby buildings while you're testing the engine at WOT. Here's a picture of one i worked on at NAS New Orleans some years ago:

Up until recently, the ducts were oval in cross section. Then somebody did some experiments with a scaled one made with a square cross section, which would be much simpler to fabricate. Turns out the square one did an even better job than the oval one of killing the sound. I'm not sure if they've built one yet; a couple of guys I used to work with were trying to push a project through to build one like this but their boss was EXTREMELY conservative and nixed the idea.

Anyway, it occurs to me, maybe a square cross section muffler would work better at absorbing sound.

d_adams
02-11-2017, 05:37 PM
The original 1125 muffler was more flat planes and was effective, just very ugly from what I had been told. Helmholtz resonator, there's different ways to design them. Different sized chambers = different frequencies cancelled out.

1190SX
02-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Well, aside from it being aesthetically unappealing to most people, I would gladly try one out. Just need another bike to do it on, so if anyone wants to donate one....

Hate to say it, but the novelty of the quiet system has worn off. I'm ready to put Deans system on lol.

EBRRider
02-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Well, aside from it being aesthetically unappealing to most people, I would gladly try one out. Just need another bike to do it on, so if anyone wants to donate one....

Hate to say it, but the novelty of the quiet system has worn off. I'm ready to put Deans system on lol.

I like your concept, bad ass adams pipes wins. :badass::badass::301:

Unbound
02-14-2017, 03:23 PM
Not sure who has one in CA, but I will have one soon. Dean is working on it. I am in Norcal though.

Me too! We might be the only ones!

TerryS1980
02-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Square is likely not absorbing more sound but the sound waves are canceling each other out bouncing in the corners.

Oval is only better than round if it has more volume and material in it.

Chazaag
02-22-2017, 12:48 PM
I was at EBR and overheard that they received the 2017 certification.....

Sparky
02-22-2017, 03:17 PM
That's the best news I've heard today.:burnout:

buell-fan
02-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Chaz, did you overhear whether they would restart full production, or at the very least, order-based production?

Chazaag
02-23-2017, 01:32 AM
Chaz, did you overhear whether they would restart full production, or at the very least, order-based production?

Didnt mean to mislead anyone- I was addressing the earlier statement that EBR couldn't make 2017 bikes bc they had not received 2017 certification - I was present last April when EBR employees were talking that they had obtained 2017 certification....

Sparky
02-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Email from EBR today states:

"Limited Production 2017 EBR 1190 SX & RX's are now available at EBR dealers!
Great deals on 2017 models"

This is followed by a listing of the Top Dealers and Dealers.

Led Boots
02-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Email from EBR today states:

"Limited Production 2017 EBR 1190 SX & RX's are now available at EBR dealers!
Great deals on 2017 models"

This is followed by a listing of the Top Dealers and Dealers.

Yeah, got that on my FB feed as well. Interesting.

d_adams
02-24-2017, 09:07 AM
And the people actually at the factory had no idea that email even came out. I forwarded it to one of them after a confirmation phone call to find out what was going on.

I'm going on the assumption that the melvins are just trying to generate some hype to sell the last remaining stock they have on hand before dumping them on the market at liquidation prices. I hope that's not the case, but I'm losing all confidence here based on their actions and lack of real communication or even decent advertising.

Kid Thunder
02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
It seems that way. They said when the closed that they had enough parts to finish off some 2017s. I'm sure that's what they are doing.

noone1569
02-24-2017, 01:15 PM
And the people actually at the factory had no idea that email even came out. I forwarded it to one of them after a confirmation phone call to find out what was going on.

I'm going on the assumption that the melvins are just trying to generate some hype to sell the last remaining stock they have on hand before dumping them on the market at liquidation prices. I hope that's not the case, but I'm losing all confidence here based on their actions and lack of real communication or even decent advertising.

Sad

We sort of called this all along though =( never bought into the hype.

Hughlysses
02-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Well, they say the bikes come with warranty (1 year, right?) and parts support. So theoretically at least, EBR has to remain in business for at least one year after the last 2016 or 2017 model is sold. I guess at some point they could chose to sell the remaining bikes with no warranty, but that hasn't happened yet. So as of right now, somebody will have to be answering the phones at EBR at least one year from today.

d_adams
02-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Galactic black bodywork is in VERY slim supply, same with midnight black. No answers on the rest, I called looking for replacements for a crashed 1190 and was asking for anything available. Got sidetracked talking about other stuff, so no firm answer on it since Mike was out today.

MegaFighterX
02-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Galactic black bodywork is in VERY slim supply, same with midnight black. No answers on the rest, I called looking for replacements for a crashed 1190 and was asking for anything available. Got sidetracked talking about other stuff, so no firm answer on it since Mike was out today.

That makes me sad, considering I just cracked the left side tab down by the seat tonight because I was being a clod... =o/

han
04-18-2017, 02:03 PM
I bought one

I bought a 2017 RX for $9995 about $11800 out the door tax title and out of state delivery.I bought it during winter months Im curious if the prices will go up in the summer.As far as i can see the only place with 2017s is Action Powersports in Waukesha a stones throw away from East Troy.