PDA

View Full Version : Down on EBR

Kid Thunder
02-08-2017, 01:00 AM
I've been reading comments from people(Not on this forum)on the web talking EBR bikes down as being behind the times & not enough wiz bang stuff! Some of us just want an analog bike instead of a full digital, everything in the world, on it.
I have an 03 Tuono & this(EBR)is the bike I figured they would build instead of just the RSV4. Don't get me wrong the RSV4 is bad -ss but this should have been the bike(EBR)they made instead of the 1200 twin Shiver that was a flop I think. Just my thoughts.

Hughlysses
02-08-2017, 07:35 AM
If EBR had had any budget for marketing in the last year, I think that would have been a good thing to emphasize- their lack of electronics. IIRC, Honda had a prototype robot riding a motorcycle, and Yamaha had a "self-riding" motorcycle. EBR could have played that up and contrasted their motorcycles.

TerryS1980
02-08-2017, 09:42 AM
That's all the time. Most people are just ignorant to EBR.

I always say it's easy for people to insult things they don't understand.

Mike
02-08-2017, 10:56 AM
That's one of the reasons I bought my RX..!

It was between the latest version of the Yamaha R1, and the RX a coupla years ago.
After seeing the R1 in the magazines, it seemed pretty interesting. Then after seeing one in person, I was put off by all of the digital, hoses, electrical harnesses, hanging everywhere, the huge control boxes on the bars.
The second reason is the seating. Too long a stretch to the bars, and I'm 6'. I took a look at the RX on the way home from the drag races and left without asking any questions. Saw the R1 noted above, went back to the EBR dealer and sat on the RX.
Then and there I swapped my BMW S1000RR for the RX.

Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread like some like to say...no, it's not. Does it serve it's purpose, even with a coupla expensive (warranty items !) things that have cropped up, yes it does. At 66 yr's old, I can sit in the saddle for an hour in morning traffic (daily driver), and an hour splitting lanes in the afternoon without problem. Not so sure it woulda been so easy with the R1.
Hopefully I can log another 12 or 15 thousand miles (25,000+ on it now) on it, and into retirement. If the RX gives me problems, I still have my old XB12s that runs well.

Most EBR comments I get is a blank stare. Like most people I see don't know enough about them to comment one way or the other.

Mike

1190SX
02-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Don't worry, the Gixxer is still the most hated sports bike. LOL. I basically feel this way about it: Is the EBR perfect? No. Are there other bikes that are more 'refined'? Absolutely. To me, it is a huge leap from Buell in the right direction, and I can only imagine where it could go from here. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge the amazing advancements in design and performance is uninformed. And honestly IMO, these are genuinely good looking bikes, sure you could pick the Buell apart for styling, but EBR did something right in the design department

Mike
02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Since this site won't let me add a P.s. -

I thought I'd add, that for the design of the RX, the engineers/designers got it pretty much correct.
Seating - "MUCH" improved over the XB'x and the 1125 series seats. The reach from the seat to the bars is also nice. I altered both my XB and CR seat to keep from squeezing the nuts..!
Foot pegs - no need for "dropped" slid, moved pegs...nice as designed.
Bars - See above, location height, width, and reach...all nice.
The windscreen - That could use some better positioning...without have to spend money on another one. Can't even see the dash without looking "thru" the windscreen..!

I've found no need to make the RX into an SX (cruiser) with a full body..!

Stay alive Erik...keep us American Sport Bike drivers going...

Mike

LineArrayNut
02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
If ebr or whomever would extend a warranty to the early buyers I would give a s@$% . But since they don't .... f 'em.

1190SX
02-08-2017, 03:53 PM
I have heard what you said a lot from people who have ridden other super bikes than gotten on the RX, Mike. I personally didn't go with an RX because I already have a superbike, and the fact the the SX wasn't de-tuned like many street fighters attracted me. Also I don't do much track riding at this time, but I once in a while I admit the RX looks maybe a little bit cooler than the SX.

1190SX
02-08-2017, 03:55 PM
If ebr or whomever would extend a warranty to the early buyers I would give a s@$% . But since they don't .... f 'em.

I hear LAP acquired EBR for 1 mil back when they took control. What do you say? Start a go fund me page and maybe the fan boys like us can take over?

toxicf16
02-08-2017, 03:57 PM
1190SX...now that would be entertaining

d_adams
02-08-2017, 05:39 PM
It was roughly 1.6 million, they've more than made that back with sales of the existing stock. 3-400 bikes since March of 2016 have gone out from what I gathered. They only built about 100 in that time though. Figure it's ALL profit since the bikes were already mostly assembled, less what they paid the 10-12 people actually working there. 300 bikes at 8-10k each, that nets you no less than 2.4 million, possibly as much as 3 million or more. Assuming that's the case, they've essentially doubled their investment and now look to be getting out. Not much of a 5 year plan if you ask me, but whatever. I bought a 2016 SX anyway. My estimated numbers are purely conjecture though, not based on any facts.

1190SX
02-08-2017, 06:57 PM
1190SX...now that would be entertaining

Indeed, but honestly I think sometimes we have a better idea of what is marketable than the bean counters.

toxicf16
02-08-2017, 07:12 PM
^agreed

Hughlysses
02-08-2017, 07:54 PM
I hear LAP acquired EBR for 1 mil back when they took control. What do you say? Start a go fund me page and maybe the fan boys like us can take over?

$2.05M

http://m.carandbike.com/news/erik-buell-racing-sold-at-third-auction-1266235

1190SX
02-08-2017, 08:04 PM
$2.05M

http://m.carandbike.com/news/erik-buell-racing-sold-at-third-auction-1266235

But surely we could get it for less now that they have shut down again, no? Worst case scenario we can each divvy up the remaining bikes amongst ourselves. Better get started on that gofundme

Kid Thunder
02-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Glad I posted this. That's the reason I didn't get rid of my Tuono. It is one of the last bikes that isn't full of crappy addons.
The EBR is the LAST superbike that's going to be made I feel!

zviadi
02-09-2017, 12:53 AM
The main advantage of this bike - good chassis and no stupid electronics, as ABS, TC, anti-wheelly etc. The brakes could be better... but nothing too critical.
On this bike you should be able to ride - this I like about him most. I'm specifically seeking such bike with v-twin. I love v-twin only.

Two years ago, the famous russian professional racer on my stock EBR set unofficial lap record on MRW (Moscow Raceway). He is more than a one second time surpassed those pilots who involved in Russian Superbike champ on more powerful and full tuned S1000RR.
So I do not understand why these bikes are considered a downgrade compared to japs, italians or BMW.

Photo with my bike:

http://www.off-road-drive.ru/archive/105/Harizma_dvoynogo_naznacheniya

Hughlysses
02-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Two years ago, the famous russian professional racer on my stock EBR set unofficial lap record on MRW (Moscow Raceway). He is more than a one second time surpassed those pilots who involved in Russian Superbike champ on more powerful and full tuned S1000RR.

:thumb:

noone1569
02-09-2017, 09:00 AM
That's incredible zviadi

Scott
02-09-2017, 09:04 AM
EBR makes excellent, unique bikes, and I have no doubt they could be thriving right now if not for circumstances. If a different, better, smarter partner than Hero had invested in them a couple years ago, they could be thriving now.

If a better partner had the money, time and confidence to let them grow slowly into profitability (rather than pushing to get more bikes out quicker than the market was asking for them), they could be solid and stable and steadily growing right now.

They didn't need to compete directly with BMW, Yamaha etc. They had bikes that were completely unique and they only needed a tiny, tiny fraction of the total market share to get their feet under them.

Sales weren't below expectations because the bikes were 'bad'. People were reluctant to buy because they were a brand new company (leading to questions regarding their longevity) and as a brand new company they were unknown and had a limited dealer network. But they produced bikes as if they were an established brand and supply got ahead of demand. Then once Hero pulled out (or whatever actaully happened there), they never had a realistic opportunity to recover under LAP. Sales didn't meet expectations because expectations weren't realistic.

I can imagine a scenario with the right partner in which they could have made and sold 100 bikes in 2014, 200 bikes in 2015, 300 bikes in 2016, and then this year they could be selling 400 bikes with dealers all over the world and they would be a viable company with new models ready to be unveiled.

But things obviously didn't work out that way and I think that has everything to do with the specific investor and market strategy (and lack of patience necessary to let things build naturally) and very little to do with the actual bikes.

1190SX
02-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Well said, Scott. The funny thing is, I heard about the 1190 back when they were unveiled in 2013 and wanted to get one. Didn't really have a chance to get one back then, so I forgot about it and bought a couple other bikes. Then I started looking at getting a KTM RC8, a similar bike to the RX in many ways. I was actually in the process of getting an RC8 when the opportunity of the EBR came up and I jumped on it. Wouldn't you know it, the day my EBR arrives, they announce they are shutting down lol.

1190SX
02-09-2017, 01:20 PM
The main advantage of this bike - good chassis and no stupid electronics, as ABS, TC, anti-wheelly etc. The brakes could be better... but nothing too critical.
On this bike you should be able to ride - this I like about him most. I'm specifically seeking such bike with v-twin. I love v-twin only.

So I do not understand why these bikes are considered a downgrade compared to japs, italians or BMW.

Photo with my bike:

http://www.off-road-drive.ru/archive/105/Harizma_dvoynogo_naznacheniya

I would agree that these bikes are right there with the top brands, maybe not as a competitor for sales yet, but definitely could be given some time in the market with a viable business model. They do need some kinks worked out, the plastics on other brands are definitely a little more refined, IMO the foot controls need to be adjusted, they do have a bit of vibration/chattering under acceleration, but to be fair my BMW twin has some vibration as well(not the plastic chatter though). Yes, they have a few idiosyncrasies to work out, but these are all easy fixes. The framework is there, and it has amazing potential. Now, I don't know what the business model was from the start, so I wont say they did it wrong or what happened. I don't know, maybe it was just the market, maybe a poor plan. I do believe, however, EBR could be the American Ducati with a solid plan and backing.

zviadi
02-09-2017, 03:48 PM
I would agree that these bikes are right there with the top brands, maybe not as a competitor for sales yet, but definitely could be given some time in the market with a viable business model. They do need some kinks worked out, the plastics on other brands are definitely a little more refined, IMO the foot controls need to be adjusted, they do have a bit of vibration/chattering under acceleration, but to be fair my BMW twin has some vibration as well(not the plastic chatter though). Yes, they have a few idiosyncrasies to work out, but these are all easy fixes. The framework is there, and it has amazing potential. Now, I don't know what the business model was from the start, so I wont say they did it wrong or what happened. I don't know, maybe it was just the market, maybe a poor plan. I do believe, however, EBR could be the American Ducati with a solid plan and backing.

Agree.
The advantage of this bike is that it is simple. Yes, it is not very nice and not very neat - but he is honest. I love these bikes.
Unfortunately, the global moto-manufacturers in the pursuit of profit do the same plastic-electronic rattles. Against this background, EBR stand out - this is also their advantage. They do not like it. Sometimes it's good to be original…

toole40
02-09-2017, 03:58 PM
KISS-keep it simple stupid I work as a lighting technician/programmer, and that is still my philosophy. I've seen what happens when all the electronic tech starts to fail. You can be chasing gremlins for a time, especially if all the parts are from different manufacturers. I'm a new EBR owner, and appreciate the simplicity of my SX.

zviadi
02-09-2017, 04:02 PM
That's incredible zviadi

I was a little misled - track record of serial bikes. Sorry))
SBK bikes ride faster by local professional riders. It is an indisputable fact. They are faster than any serial motorcycle, not only EBR.

Here is local SBK-driver on S1000RR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNmQ64yW_gc

See on 0:55.
This bike WSBK specification of about 200HP on the wheel. His lap-time similar to lap-time recorded by the russian SBK champion on my stock EBR.
Lap-time is 1:44,5.
As you can see, EBR - not a bad bike if riding good pilot)))

1190SX
02-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Agree.
The advantage of this bike is that it is simple. Yes, it is not very nice and not very neat - but he is honest. I love these bikes.
Unfortunately, the global moto-manufacturers in the pursuit of profit do the same plastic-electronic rattles. Against this background, EBR stand out - this is also their advantage. They do not like it. Sometimes it's good to be original…

It's ALWAYS good to be original, if it works. I think the saying goes: be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

zviadi
02-09-2017, 04:06 PM
But so ride the absolute record holder of MRW on the RSV4 WSBK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mRr3oMVu4

This is Vladimir Leonov, former moto2, WSS and WSBK racer.

Sparky
02-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Going through the list there is nothing that mentions EBR, Erik, Buell or Erik Buell Racing. There are approx 3660 items in categories ranging from Harley, ATV, UTV, Quads, Sport Bikes, Metric, Apparel, tools, etc. Again, I don't see anything specifically related to EBR inventory.

Kid Thunder
02-15-2017, 04:52 PM
I thought I was doing something wrong! Nothing about EBR parts.

SX_Bueller
02-15-2017, 07:47 PM
I think that email was for a different motorcycle company stuff. I tried searching for the EBR part numbers and nothing was listed.

bthibodeaux
02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Sorry guys, it was my bad for assuming they were EBR parts.

Hughlysses
02-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Yea, not EBR-related. LAP liquidates a LOT of companies.