PDA

View Full Version : Traction control

Kid Thunder
01-05-2017, 01:17 AM
I have some questions about how the traction control works. Does all the 20 positions of the control produce the maximum HP? Does it reacted to tire slippage or does it reduce hp as you go up the positions. If it does reduce the hp what positions does produce the max hp?
Any other answers will be welcome.
Thanks,
Don-M

Led Boots
01-05-2017, 07:13 AM
The way I understand it, it is an intervention system, not a power control system.
From an article on Motorcycle.com (http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/buell/2014-ebr-1190rx-review-first-ride.html)

On the electronics side, the RX features traction control developed entirely in-house with a whopping 20 different settings (21 including off), which EBR’s test rider and AMA Pro Superbike pilot, Cory West, helped fine tune. Steffanelli says the wide range of settings was designed to accommodate the equally wide range of rider abilities and circumstances they might face.

The system uses a rear-wheel speed sensor, combined with predictive and reactionary algorithms, to cut fuel, spark, or both, depending on the severity of the slip incident. This is made more impressive when you consider the RX still uses throttle cables and is not ride-by-wire. The bike doesn’t feature different power modes, but EBR feels the higher settings of the TC (resulting in more intervention) will help assuage the fears less experienced riders will have about opening the throttle on such a torque-heavy motorcycle. As a convenient side effect, higher TC levels also operates as a wheelie control function as well.

In other words, you have full power available at all times, regardless of chosen TC level...unless or until there is an event requiring system intervention, in which case it will cut throttle/fuel/spark as needed to avoid catastrophy.

Kid Thunder
01-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks. I knew I read it somewhere but I get so many mags I just could not remember where. That answers my questions.

Mike
01-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Kid -

Easiest thing to do to check...give a few of the settings a try..!
Despite what is said, with the OEM, ECM, my bike runs less good the higher the setting is, to about 4, then from there down it runs about the same.

Mike

Hughlysses
01-05-2017, 04:20 PM
On the same topic, I saw this relevant post in the EBR 1190 Owners group on Facebook yesterday:

Reading comprehension people. For those of us who complain about the TCS killing power even in the lowest 4 settings please read the following from page 70 of the owner's manual:

"The levels of traction control selected can be changed through the instrument cluster, and only when the vehicle is completely stopped AND IN NEUTRAL."

I got to be honest I never did the neutral thing and quit using the TCS all together because it robbed too much power.

While playing on the dyno we discovered if its not in neutral when the TCS level is changed, going down will only change the parameters TCS kicks in at but not reset the previous power output settings. Setting it in neutral and then changing the settings appears to reset the out put levels also so that you are able to get full power with the TCS in levels 8 through 1 as opposed to the metered power levels of 9 and up. I hate that we can't adjust it on the fly, but after seeing how it was designed to work, I suddenly realize its in keeping with the theme of the whole bike which is head up and out riding.

So, apparently it's important that you have the bike stopped and in neutral before changing settings or the TC may not behave as it was designed.

Kid Thunder
01-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks one + all. I do not have thr SX yet but it is insured, taxed + plated just waiting for it to arrive from Wisconsin. I have been trying to get familiar with it before it arrives. I have been getting some contradictory info on the tc from magazine articles, the forum + the owners manual. I was hoping that someone with some dyno time on it would respond. And there it was! Like the Aprilia forum this is a great forum. Thanks

joelene06
01-10-2017, 06:28 PM
I believe the owners manual says that TC level 20 is a 40% reduction in power.