PDA

View Full Version : Winter Oil Viscosity

Fullmonte
11-18-2016, 12:18 PM
What is everybody running for oil when it's cold out? The manual specs 10w30 amsoil but, then says the viscosity is 10w40. I'm guessing it's a typo and they actually mean 10w40 or is amsoil 10w30 actually 10w40?1225

zviadi
11-19-2016, 05:51 AM
I'm not change the oil, depending on ambient temperature. I use 20W50 at 33-35 F.

Fullmonte
11-19-2016, 02:47 PM
I kind of assumed the point of the thinner oil in cold weather was that it is more easily able to pass through the small oil passages in the motor while cold. Where the thicker oil could potentially lead to oil starvation on a cold atartup.

M1Combat
11-19-2016, 06:03 PM
"Don't have to shell out on premium brands like Amsoil' any cheap and cheerful motorcycle oil meeting OEM JASO MA API SG specifications does exactly the same or even better job no matter what Snake Oil buzzwords get printed on premium priced container labels."

Ehhh... No. Better oils are better.

Led Boots
11-28-2016, 07:49 AM
I kind of assumed the point of the thinner oil in cold weather was that it is more easily able to pass through the small oil passages in the motor while cold. Where the thicker oil could potentially lead to oil starvation on a cold atartup.

That's always been my understanding of it, although it has always been just a "rule to live by" that's been passed down from older riders rather than anything I investigated much further than that. Growing up riding only air/oil cooled bikes, and mostly Harley Davidsons with obligatory oil cooler, it's always been understood that said oil cooler, in cold temps, would lower oil temps to less than optimal operating temperatures. Basically, you're running your bike continually "cold", so to speak. Basically, the same reason we give our bikes a minute or two to "warm up" before riding is the same reasoning behind using lighter viscosity in cold temps.

noone1569
11-28-2016, 02:00 PM
I usually just keep 20w50; but typically don't ride below 40ish.

If anyone needs amsoil, lmk; I sell at cost to ebr/buellers

Kid Thunder
12-31-2016, 03:51 PM
I sent you a question on private message on which viscosity to use but I just saw this post & that's the answer I was hoping for cause I use 20W50 in my Tuono. Nice & easy! Get back to me on that purchase.

marticm
01-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Has anyone ever done a temporary air blockage to the radiators for riding in near freezing temperatures? Perhaps blocking 20% or 30% of the air flow?