PDA

View Full Version : EBR Reliability

Led Boots
11-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Hello. I am new to the forum (joined yesterday). I've been a fan of Buells since the beginning, and have been intrigued by EBR since their revival this past Spring. Like many others, I thought the ill-fated Hero deal was going to be what finally brought them to the next level. I'm really hoping for them to finally find success with LAP.

Hypothetical: Say I was considering buying an EBR, a few questions/concerns come to mind.

I see quite a few left over models on showroom floors. Aside from price, would there be any issue with buying one of the older models? Are there any differences in features or craftsmanship with them as compared to the 2016+ models?
What kind regular service is needed, and are they easy to work on for basic upkeep/service? The dealer network being what it is currently, there's not a dealership within 300 miles of me. I also don't have the means or equipment to trailer a bike around whenever something comes up.
Are there still a lot of bugs to work out with the current models? In reading through this forum, I've seen mention of a few issues that seem to be inherent to the current EBRs (inconsistent engine performance, error codes, etc.). Are they working actively to address these issues at the factory level or do EBR owners just learn to live with them?
Part two to the above question: What are the most common issues EBR owners are currently experiencing?

mackja
11-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Besides body color I do not know of any differences from the 2014 to the 2016 models. Service is pretty straight forward, oil and filter every 6000 miles, although I do mine at 3000, valve adjustment is every 6000 miles, if you are mechanicly inclinded the valve adjustment is easy to do and no special tools are required. Bikes are reliable, only issue is the chain rub and it is not really an issue if you keep your chain adjusted as recommended. I would say issue are sparadic and limited. I have two early 2014 bikes and have an Buell 1125r also, been vary satisfied with all my bikes.

Led Boots
11-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Besides body color I do not know of any differences from the 2014 to the 2016 models. Service is pretty straight forward, oil and filter every 6000 miles, although I do mine at 3000, valve adjustment is every 6000 miles, if you are mechanicly inclinded the valve adjustment is easy to do and no special tools are required. Bikes are reliable, only issue is the chain rub and it is not really an issue if you keep your chain adjusted as recommended. I would say issue are sparadic and limited. I have two early 2014 bikes and have an Buell 1125r also, been vary satisfied with all my bikes.

Wow, 114 views and only one reply? C'mon guys, there gotta be more than one owner here LOL

At any rate, thanks for the info mackja. Seriously considering taking the leap. I have come very close to dropping a deposit on a Black Lightning since the reveal, but then I keep thinking of all the left over SX's out. I know LAP and EBR are counting on new bike deposits to improve cash position, but it's hard to pass up the deals I could get for thousands less. First World problems, I guess :lol:

zviadi
11-26-2016, 01:15 AM
Wow, 114 views and only one reply? C'mon guys, there gotta be more than one owner here LOL

What can be a problem to have american motorcycle in the USA? What could be the complexity of the dealer and spare parts?
Take at test-drive and decides to buy.

I am the only EBR-owner in Russian Federation, there is no dealer and no spare parts - I don't have any difficulties with the bike maintenance, repair and spare parts. There are problems, but they are no more than any other motorcycle brands.
I even managed to get in a road accident and seriously damage the bike - it was repaired in 3 months, parts bought from LAP.
My milleage about 2000 miles for month.

TerryS1980
11-26-2016, 07:09 AM
Condensation in speedo, white dust in headlight, throttle bodies coming off of the intake, comms error with speedo from bad solder joints, coolant tank tabs break, header cracks and I'll still buy another one..

buell-fan
11-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Some bikes are super reliable, others have had some issues. In all, given that they are a first year production bike you should be of the mindset that there will be some quirks to work out; this is true with any new automobile/motorcycle or machine. The engine and dtivetrain are sound, and EBR has worked out some of the other issues on the first year bikes. You will have to do regular maintenance to the chain to keep it tensioned properly, and replace the chain slider as neeeded. And when the chain is replaced make sure the new riveted link is smooth with no burrs and is is not protruding wider that the factory rivets or it will eat your plastic slider quickly.

Led Boots
11-26-2016, 12:09 PM
What can be a problem to have american motorcycle in the USA? What could be the complexity of the dealer and spare parts?
Take at test-drive and decides to buy.

I am the only EBR-owner in Russian Federation, there is no dealer and no spare parts - I don't have any difficulties with the bike maintenance, repair and spare parts. There are problems, but they are no more than any other motorcycle brands.
I even managed to get in a road accident and seriously damage the bike - it was repaired in 3 months, parts bought from LAP.
My milleage about 2000 miles for month.

Condensation in speedo, white dust in headlight, throttle bodies coming off of the intake, comms error with speedo from bad solder joints, coolant tank tabs break, header cracks and I'll still buy another one..

Some bikes are super reliable, others have had some issues. In all, given that they are a first year production bike you should be of the mindset that there will be some quirks to work out; this is true with any new automobile/motorcycle or machine. The engine and dtivetrain are sound, and EBR has worked out some of the other issues on the first year bikes. You will have to do regular maintenance to the chain to keep it tensioned properly, and replace the chain slider as neeeded. And when the chain is replaced make sure the new riveted link is smooth with no burrs and is is not protruding wider that the factory rivets or it will eat your plastic slider quickly.

Thank you, all. That's exactly what I needed to know.

buell-fan
11-26-2016, 11:23 PM
Going to buy a new EBR then? Some food for though on what year EBR to buy: Buy a new old stock '14 model from LAP saves you some money for "self-warrantied" parts and maintenance; unless you buy an aftermarket warranty that is. Buy a new '16 or '17 model and you get a factory warranty and some piece of mind if you aren't mechanically inclined to do your own warranty work. Either way you can't really go wrong with one.

Mike
11-27-2016, 03:06 AM
23+ thousand miles on my 2014 RX.
Driven daily, 85 miles a day. Currently apart for a valve clearance check (past due..!)

My biggest problem, oil changes, filter cleanings and tires. With the miles I drive, they add up quickly.
I change my oil "about" every 3500 miles...one thing you NEED to understand, every oil change, an air filter cleaning IS REQUIRED at the same time. I learned that the hard way. No harm done, but I have a small cup, half full of loose dirt I knocked off of the filter on my second cleaning. I keep it to remind me to clean the filter..!

I added the IDS ECM with the secondary muffler removal ECM spec. It is louder but not too objectionable. I leave home at 4:30 and my neighbors haven't shot me yet..!

One thing...the engine does not like hot outside temperatures. Much over 95 and in slow traffic, it'll put up a "New Engine" code. Nothing else happens, the engine runs fine, just shows the code. Once the engine cools, the code is gone. Wish I knew exactly what the "New Engine" code is/means...

I'll be replacing the water/antifreeze during my service...replacing the mixture with only about 15% antifreeze to lube the water pump and to keep corrosion down. Antifreeze does NOT help with the cooling, just the water does..so more water it gets.

I did have the regulator go out a short while back. It cost me $220+ for a new regulator and another $150+ for a new battery to replace the burned one...NOT a good thing. Also had to get flat bedded home...

When I bought my RX, my choice was between the 2014 RX and the 2016 Yamaha R1. Even with the problems, I'm still glad I went with the Buell.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

noone1569
11-28-2016, 04:00 PM
EBR recommends 6k oil changes with AMSOIL btw ;)

Led Boots
11-29-2016, 06:27 AM
EBR recommends 6k oil changes with AMSOIL btw ;)

Oh damn, not that dreaded oil talk :lol: That's okay, my neighbor has been one of them snake oil salesman for years :lol:

d_adams
11-29-2016, 07:03 AM
Funny, most manufacturers are going to synthetic oil as their recommended oil now. Had a bmw 325i, that was the factory fill and it was a 2003. Not sure why you'd refer to them as "snake oil salesmen" if the **** works and Amsoil can prove it time and time again. Same with my 2014 GMC 4x4, factory filled with synthetic.

Led Boots
11-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Funny, most manufacturers are going to synthetic oil as their recommended oil now. Had a bmw 325i, that was the factory fill and it was a 2003. Not sure why you'd refer to them as "snake oil salesmen" if the **** works and Amsoil can prove it time and time again. Same with my 2014 GMC 4x4, factory filled with synthetic.

I was just joking with the snake oil thing. I've seen enough "oil threads" on various web forums through the years to know that some people swear by the stuff, the rest swear at it. There's rarely anyone in between. My neighbor swears by it. Puts it in all his vehicles (trucks, cars and motorcycles) and has never had an issue that I know of. I've considered using it in my current bike (Victory). If I do end up buying an EBR, and they recommend Amsoil, then I'll have no problem using it.

noone1569
11-29-2016, 07:55 AM
Well, its factory filled with AMSOIL and the owners manual says go 6200 miles between oil changes.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/827607/Ebr-1190-Sx.html?page=138#manual

Just saying.

Led Boots
11-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Well, its factory filled with AMSOIL and the owners manual says go 6200 miles between oil changes.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/827607/Ebr-1190-Sx.html?page=138#manual

Just saying.

So that manual indicates to do valve clearance checks at the same interval as oil changes. Is that a very involved process?

Edited to add: I just saw your comment on another thread mentioning that you sell Amsoil. Your earlier comment makes more sense to me now (I'm a little slow in the mornings :lol: ) I meant no offense with my "snake oil salesman" remark. Just making light of the naysayers I've encountered in the motorcycling community that like to poo-poo Amsoil claims. As I said, I have no problem with the products and would use them without hesitation.

Mike
11-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Led -

Yea, though not quite as painstaking as the older 1125's, it's still not an over night task..! Well, the first check could be completed in one full day if no shims need changing, but as noted, that should include an air filter cleaning too..!

And so far, my engine, 6000 miles for a valve clearance check is overdoing it also. As long as you use the PROPER (hard, not soft) shims, I'm at as noted, 24+K miles, but only my second valve check. My first check, one exhaust valve needed a new shim, but even that, I could have gotten away with leaving it. Right now, all shims need changing, but none are detrimental to the cams or rockers/followers.

The shims can be gotten thru either Buell OR Harley Davidson. Same as the water cooled Harley...and yea, they are quality shims and use the same thickness measuring system. Personally...stay away from those crappy, aftermarket cheap shims. Harley normally stocks them, and there's MANY more Harley dealers than Buell dealers.

And...I hope it's ok if I change my oil at 3000/3500 miles..!? And another item, oil filters. Either the OEM or the HiFlow. The K&N filters use smaller holes on the inside support. While there "may be" more holes in the K&N's, larger diameter normally flows more than more than quantity, square inches wise.

Mike

noone1569
11-29-2016, 01:24 PM
My first check at ~5000 and I had to replace all of the shims. Not riding this year hurt my mileage, but I'm at 10k and doing valves over the winter.

I agree certainly on not using the K&N and using OEM/HiFlow. I am at ~5000 miles on this oil and am going to send it off for analysis.

Led Boots
11-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Thank you both. In searching Cycle Trader ads, I found a small shop in Pittsburgh that says they have a couple leftover '14 1190RXs in stock for $9,999. Going to take a ride down this Saturday to have a look. Having not seen an EBR other than pictures and videos online, I want see one in person before I make a decision whether or not to pursue this more seriously.

Mike
11-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Be sure to sit on it too.
Very comfortable...

Mike

noone1569
11-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Be sure to sit on it too.
Very comfortable...

Mike

Very true, looks are deceiving in this department. Its extremely comfortable ride; far more than any other superbike I've ridden (1199/RSV4/R1/CBR1k/GSXR1K/S1000RR)

Led Boots
12-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Well, I went down Saturday and got a look at the 1190rx I saw advertised. The bike looks better in person than in pictures, that's for sure. When I arrived, there was only one salesman there and he was busy with some customers, so I was able to get a good look without being interrupted.

The bike felt great, but the riding position really felt odd to me. This may sound weird, but sitting on the bike with both hands on the bars, it feels like you're right up over the front tire...it's like your holding the front axle in your hands. I suppose that comes from riding baggers and cruisers for the last 30 years :lol: I thought the seat felt a little weird, but again, I've been sitting on big cushy seats for many years so I imagine there will be a lot to get used to. The clutch pull (this is a leftover '14) was RIDICULOUS. My FatBoy clutch isn't even half that stiff. However, when I finally did get to talk to somebody, he informed he that he already has a clutch kit there ready to put on it.

About the dealership; this used to be an EBR dealership before the bankruptcy. This RX is one of their leftovers, not one they went out and scalped off of somebody else's inventory. They are very knowledgeable about the brand but haven't followed it much since LAP took over. For example, they weren't aware of the recent Black Lightning reveal. They did say they still do provide any service require and that they do communicate with EBR Tech via email whenever needed. They said they get great support from EBR in that regard.

Overall, I came away with a very positive impression of both the bike, and the shop. If I do buy an EBR, I won't hesitate to use them for any needed service. They seemed like good motorcycle people.

mackja
12-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Clutch pull is better with the bike running, on my rx track bike I updated to an Accossato master cylinder, made a nice improvement, I am sure a Brembo would do the same. On my sx street bike I really don't notice it that much, don't do much urban riding though. Going from a cruiser to a sport bike is a BIG difference, but as with anything else you will get use to it quickly.

Led Boots
12-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Clutch pull is better with the bike running, on my rx track bike I updated to an Accossato master cylinder, made a nice improvement, I am sure a Brembo would do the same. On my sx street bike I really don't notice it that much, don't do much urban riding though. Going from a cruiser to a sport bike is a BIG difference, but as with anything else you will get use to it quickly.

That's good to know, thanks.

I wanted to add an interesting side note from my discussions with this guy. He felt that Buell was blinded by dollar signs when he signed the Hero deal. He said that, if he had been paying attention to Hero's history he would've never done it. They have a history of walking out on deals on a whim. This is a sanctioned Honda dealership and he said Hero did the same thing to Honda...and if they'd walk out on a giant like Honda, he should've known they wouldn't have any qualms about bailing on him.

d_adams
12-05-2016, 02:35 PM
There's a bit more to it than just that little bit. I agree, Erik gave up too much at the time, but to actually break back into the 3k+ per year market, money was required and that was the quickest way to get it. The real problem was hero holding back funds that should have been paid out for engineering services. It turned into what I'd call a hostile takeover attempt that backfired, mainly due to an obscure Wisconsin law regarding bankruptcy.

zviadi
12-06-2016, 01:02 PM
The bike felt great, but the riding position really felt odd to me. This may sound weird, but sitting on the bike with both hands on the bars, it feels like you're right up over the front tire...it's like your holding the front axle in your hands. I suppose that comes from riding baggers and cruisers for the last 30 years :lol: I thought the seat felt a little weird, but again, I've been sitting on big cushy seats for many years so I imagine there will be a lot to get used to.

It's race seat. But with such seat is convenient to attack the turns - you feel good motorcycle behavior and road surface.
This bike is not a leisurely ride and city trips.

Mike
12-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Led -

Yea, just the opposite, I tried "situp" bikes a coupla times over the years. Felt very uncomfortable, sold them both...(different times). Feel much more in control leaning forward.

As for the clutch (if you get a Buell), DO NOT be swayed by the clutch "lightening kit". Just work out a little, those gripper workout squeeze things..! They not only make the squeeze at the handle lighter, they also lessen the clutch grip on the flywheel. Not a good thing.

You want to feel really inadequate...reach/lean wise, go sit on a 2016 Yamaha R1.

Mike

Mike

Mike
12-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Hmm, the "edit post" won't let me remove my second name signing.

Zviadi wrote -
""This bike is not a leisurely ride and city trips.""

Says who..?!
About an hour+ in the seat every day in traffic. Been in the seat for just over an hour and a half at one sitting without problem.
Only one day did I have a little problem with the clutch pull, and I think I'da had a problem with ANY clutch that morning (big crash on the freeway), cars all over.

Mike

Led Boots
12-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Led -

Yea, just the opposite, I tried "situp" bikes a coupla times over the years. Felt very uncomfortable, sold them both...(different times). Feel much more in control leaning forward.

As for the clutch (if you get a Buell), DO NOT be swayed by the clutch "lightening kit". Just work out a little, those gripper workout squeeze things..! They not only make the squeeze at the handle lighter, they also lessen the clutch grip on the flywheel. Not a good thing.

You want to feel really inadequate...reach/lean wise, go sit on a 2016 Yamaha R1.

Mike

Mike

I know what you mean about the R1. I tried one of those out at another dealership. It was hard for me to reach forward to the bars and keep both my feet up on the pegs. I'd need to take some yoga classes or something if I had to ride that every day. Probably doesn't help that I'm 6 foot tall, 240 pounds and shaped like a tree trunk LOL

zviadi
12-07-2016, 05:05 AM
Says who..?!
About an hour+ in the seat every day in traffic. Been in the seat for just over an hour and a half at one sitting without problem.
Only one day did I have a little problem with the clutch pull, and I think I'da had a problem with ANY clutch that morning (big crash on the freeway), cars all over.

I also go on traffic and 8 hours on the weekend. However, there are more convenient for pushing the motorcycle in traffic jams.
I bought a second Kawasaki Z1000. Crappy bike, but to ride in town and traffic it much nicer.

I'm 6 foot tall, 240 pounds and shaped like a tree trunk LOL

I'm 6 feets and 1 inch and 225 pounds

Led Boots
12-07-2016, 07:59 AM
I also go on traffic and 8 hours on the weekend. However, there are more convenient for pushing the motorcycle in traffic jams.
I bought a second Kawasaki Z1000. Crappy bike, but to ride in town and traffic it much nicer.

Yeah, the traffic issue is going to be primary concern. That's why I was worried about the clutch pull. In a state where lane splitting is illegal, and a city/area where it is strictly enforced, my daily afternoon traffic jam ritual could be difficult. I think I would plan on going up to a 43 or 44 tooth (maybe even a 45?) rear sprocket to help stay off the clutch as much as possible in that scenario.

Mike
12-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Also 6" and 250lbs.

Mike

zviadi
12-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Yeah, the traffic issue is going to be primary concern. That's why I was worried about the clutch pull. In a state where lane splitting is illegal, and a city/area where it is strictly enforced, my daily afternoon traffic jam ritual could be difficult. I think I would plan on going up to a 43 or 44 tooth (maybe even a 45?) rear sprocket to help stay off the clutch as much as possible in that scenario.

I ride on the stock bike with stock levers and sprockets. No problem with clutch pull.
Habit))

It is the most favorite bike.

Mike
12-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Again, not a problem. Like above, my bike is stock in that respect.
And my afternoon drive home is in 20 to 40mph range..!

Mike

SX_Bueller
12-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Led Boots, I completely understand the differences in bikes and riding styles. Been riding cruisers (Sporty and dresser) all my life (22 years and counting) and about a year ago i decided i wanted an 1125R. I've always loved the looks of them. With the prices so low, I picked one up and drove it home about two and a half hours first time out. It was such a difference that it was along time before I was able to get comfortable on it.
Right about the time i get the bike set up to my liking is when the huge price dip on the EBR's. Ended up buying an SX and having it shipped from CA to CT, only saw it online and never sat on it. Got the bike and my god the clutch pull is ridiculous, but was able to get used to it in a couple trips.

So enjoy your new ride and its easy to end up on one wheel at times.