PDA

View Full Version : EBR Black Lightning

Hughlysses
11-14-2016, 06:45 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ebr-motorcycles-to-debut-black-lightning-model-nov-18-in-long-beach-california/

http://www.roadracingworld.com/RFS/2016/11/14/884626c6-8cb4-45b6-b498-21d05c030141.jpg?size=630

qurtrn10
11-14-2016, 10:06 PM
So....

Black:
Mid fairing with Black Lightning logo
Header heat shield
Primary Muffler trim
Side stand
Lower controls
Heel guards
Rear spring

Yet they still run the silver levers? Black ones have been on the website forever! C'mon guys! Lol

buell-fan
11-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Nice looking bike. Yes, it does need black levers. And sleeker mirrors with drag bars.

zviadi
11-15-2016, 02:48 AM
All noise and excitement was because of these cosmetic changes?
And someone else claimed to be an analog of H2 or V-Rod...

Why do we need another SX with lower seat and pegs? This will lead to internal competition between new model and SX 2017.

Purves
11-15-2016, 07:57 AM
My thoughts too. Maybe offer the SX with this package/trim... but then, what do I know...

All the noise and the excitement was because of these cosmetic changes?
And someone else claimed to be an analog of H2 or V-Rod...

Why do we need another SX with lower seat and pegs? This will lead to internal competition between new model and SX 2017.

qurtrn10
11-15-2016, 12:51 PM
It's just like the standard height and lower height Buell Lightnings - this is a good thing. I would have bought the lower version of it was available earlier, so in the future I might be swapping some of the parts over to my SX.

I am interested in some of those factory blacked out parte for sure. I will be ordering some of those as soon as they are available.

I'm also really looking forward to the new platform. I hope it is shown at the NYC show (since I already have tickets).

Hughlysses
11-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Nice looking bike. Yes, it does need black levers. And sleeker mirrors with drag bars.

I'm wondering if the bike in the photo isn't a pre-production prototype that doesn't necessarily match what they'll put into production in every way. While it's (mostly) black, and it does appear to have lowered suspension and a "Black Lightning" designation on the radiator shroud, the footpegs and handlebars appear to be the same parts used on the SX, which doesn't match the changes listed in the article. Maybe we'll see other changes in the production model as well.

Led Boots
11-18-2016, 09:36 AM
I like it...and everybody knows, Black is the fastest color :lol:

Hughlysses
11-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Lots of photos posted here: http://www.superstreetbike.com/2017-ebr-1190-black-lightning-exclusive-shoot

qurtrn10
12-13-2016, 11:22 PM
I got to spend some time looking at it and asking questions at the New York IMS.

They are taking orders now on it, and if you order before the end of the year, there is a discount available.
I asked about the silver levers, and it looks like they will be an option for the bike when you order it.
The bike should be delivered to the first owners in the spring (April-ish). That's around the time the black parts should become available too.
It was also confirmed that longer cables are required to mount the taller handlebar to an existing SX.

VINs for RX, SX, and BL (Black Lightning):
RX - 546AAAG
SX - 546BBAG
BL - 546CBAG

Led Boots
12-14-2016, 09:18 AM
I got to spend some time looking at it and asking questions at the New York IMS.

They are taking orders now on it, and if you order before the end of the year, there is a discount available.
I asked about the silver levers, and it looks like they will be an option for the bike when you order it.
The bike should be delivered to the first owners in the spring (April-ish). That's around the time the black parts should become available too.
It was also confirmed that longer cables are required to mount the taller handlebar to an existing SX.

VINs for RX, SX, and BL (Black Lightning):
RX - 546AAAG
SX - 546BBAG
BL - 546CBAG

Ugh, following that pattern, the AX is going to be called the DBAG

Hughlysses
12-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Qurtn10- Did they say anything about adding more dealers, specifically in the southeast? Currently the only dealer in the southeast is in Fort Meyers, FL, which is over 500 miles from me.

qurtrn10
12-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Qurtn10- Did they say anything about adding more dealers, specifically in the southeast? Currently the only dealer in the southeast is in Fort Meyers, FL, which is over 500 miles from me.

I spoke with the new guy in charge of bringing in new dealers, Chris. He is a great guy - very enthusiastic and very passionate about the brand. I asked specifically about FL (since I'm in north FL), and I know he has been traveling and talking to dealerships. I'm not sure what they might be working on in your area.

If you know of a shop that might be interested in carrying a new brand and being the exclusive dealer in your area, you might take your bike up there and talk to them. If they seem like they might be interested and want to find out more, have them email dealer@ebr.com, or you might email them and ask them to reach out to a specific person at the dealership. I'm going to start taking my bikes up to some shops in the Jacksonville, FL area to do that to see if I can help bring the brand to my area.

buell-fan
12-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Ugh, following that pattern, the AX is going to be called the DBAG

That's too funny!

12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Ugh, following that pattern, the AX is going to be called the DBAG :lol:

Since we've stumbled into some humor here, I would say that DBAG would be pretty fitting for the AX... Due to all the DBAG's that say 'I don't want a race bike' when the subject of EBR bikes come up...

Led Boots
12-14-2016, 01:30 PM
:lol:

Since we've stumbled into some humor here, I would say that DBAG would be pretty fitting for the AX... Due to all the DBAG's that say 'I don't want a race bike' when the subject of EBR bikes come up...

Yeah, that is kind of fitting, isn't it :lol:

Hughlysses
12-15-2016, 02:39 PM
I spoke with the new guy in charge of bringing in new dealers, Chris. He is a great guy - very enthusiastic and very passionate about the brand. I asked specifically about FL (since I'm in north FL), and I know he has been traveling and talking to dealerships. I'm not sure what they might be working on in your area.

If you know of a shop that might be interested in carrying a new brand and being the exclusive dealer in your area, you might take your bike up there and talk to them. If they seem like they might be interested and want to find out more, have them email dealer@ebr.com, or you might email them and ask them to reach out to a specific person at the dealership. I'm going to start taking my bikes up to some shops in the Jacksonville, FL area to do that to see if I can help bring the brand to my area.

Thanks for that info. I heard a while back there was a dealer in Savannah, GA that was thinking about picking up EBR. That would be a fairly good location for both of us. IIRC, they were actually a dealer for the original iteration of EBR. I sure would like to see at least one dealer somewhere in the GA/SC/NC/TN area.

There's an independent shop a couple of miles from where I live; well, they're a Royal Enfield dealer but they mainly sell used bikes. I don't do that much business with them, but I guess I could suggest they check into EBR the next time I'm there.

Kid Thunder
12-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know how they lowered the Lightening? In the photos it looks like it sits lower on the forks. Is that it, less travel? How about the rear?

Hughlysses
12-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know how they lowered the Lightening? In the photos it looks like it sits lower on the forks. Is that it, less travel? How about the rear?

I'd guess it's a combination of a physically shorter shock and forks and less suspension travel. Here's a photo comparing the forks on an SX on the left to a Black Lightning on the right; you can clearly see there's less front suspension travel.

buell-fan
12-22-2016, 02:04 PM
They lowered the bike proportionally front and rear to keep the same steering geometry and handling characteristics, according to Erik himself. Watch his many interviews given at the two trade shows they attended this fall; he explains it in one of them pretty well.

TerryS1980
12-23-2016, 11:09 AM
LA show interview he said the forks and shocks are same. The only changes were spring length and rates.

Hughlysses
12-23-2016, 12:47 PM
LA show interview he said the forks and shocks are same. The only changes were spring length and rates.

That would make for easy conversion either way (BL to SX height or vice-versa).

Kid Thunder
12-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Nice & simple. I like that. I have a little trouble with height on my Tuono cause of a bad right knee.