PDA

View Full Version : EBR Owners Trademark “Black Lightning”

Purves
11-01-2016, 03:16 PM
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/erik-buell-racing-manufacturer/ebr-owners-trademark-black-lightning.html

Hughlysses
11-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Very interesting...

Scott
11-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Cool!

Scott
11-03-2016, 07:49 AM
I have been assuming this would be an "SG" version of the 1190SX with black bodywork and maybe some hand guards and other minor aesthetic variations.

But the Black Lightning name raises interesting possibilities if they also give it a little more 'oomph'. With larger displacement or maybe forced induction it's possible they could do justice to the name and maybe get some real attention (and arguably have the fastest, most unique 'Street-Fighter' in the world). Anybody know what the current land-speed record for an unfaired production twin is? Take it to the Salt Flats and they could get more publicity for a lot less money than a year of Superbike racing.

Considering their financial situation. I tend to think it will be mostly aesthetic, but it could be really cool if they could do a little more.

Also, on a vaguely related topic, does anybody know the status of the "White Lightning" trademark? It would be great if they could have both.

d_adams
11-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Think supercharged.

greest_lightnin
11-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Think supercharged.

H2 killer?

Al

Scott
11-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Think supercharged.

I really love the idea of something like that, but I don't want to get my hopes up. The new entity has only been making bikes for a little over 6 months, so I figure they'll stick to fairly simple updates that don't require much investment or design/engineering until they've been around a while longer.

d_adams
11-04-2016, 12:33 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ErikBuellRacing/videos/10153913845942496/

Info I got on that engine dyno run was 220+ hp, mildly boosted. Couldn't get confirmation that it was super or turbo charged (yes, I asked) but it's not naturally aspirated. Keep in mind, they did the same thing with an xb12 years ago, code named "Diablo" and it supposedly made 150+ hp easily at the wheel. EricZ has hit 185+ hp on his xb12, so it's certainly possible, even with a stock motor.

They intentionally cropped the video so you can't see the airbox, so I don't know for 100% how they did it. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

lotusexcelle
11-04-2016, 12:48 PM
That must mean insane torque as well - something the 1190 didn't lack anyway. This *might* mean a different frame, no? The XB hole isn't in the 1190 frame and that engine is a tight fit. My theory: a single-bank turbo.

Scott
11-04-2016, 08:57 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ErikBuellRacing/videos/10153913845942496/

Info I got on that engine dyno run was 220+ hp, mildly boosted. Couldn't get confirmation that it was super or turbo charged (yes, I asked) but it's not naturally aspirated. Keep in mind, they did the same thing with an xb12 years ago, code named "Diablo" and it supposedly made 150+ hp easily at the wheel. EricZ has hit 185+ hp on his xb12, so it's certainly possible, even with a stock motor.

They intentionally cropped the video so you can't see the airbox, so I don't know for 100% how they did it. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Wow! Hiding in plain sight. Thanks! Intriguing. I mentioned on a different conversation that I had heard the hole in the frame of the original XB was there for a turbo, so it certainly is possible.

And I think something like that would be perfect for what they need right now – something different, unique… and a little crazy.

The world’s most powerful V-Twin naked bike would certainly do justice to the Black Lightning name.

But I’m still keeping my expectations in check. Even if they’re working on forced induction, it could be years away from a production bike.

Hughlysses
11-05-2016, 06:35 AM
Wow! Hiding in plain sight. Thanks! Intriguing. I mentioned on a different conversation that I had heard the hole in the frame of the original XB was there for a turbo, so it certainly is possible.

The turbo XB is documented in Steve Anderson's article in the May 2010 issue of Cycle World on the demise of Buell, complete with photos.

Hughlysses
11-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Pic of the "Diablo" turbo XB12R prototype from the May 2010 Cycle World article:

Hughlysses
11-05-2016, 09:48 AM
I just checked the certification listings for motorcycles at EPA.gov:

https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-da ta/annual-certification-test-data-vehicles-and-eng ines (https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-data/annual-certification-test-data-vehicles-and-engines)

There's nothing listed for EBR under 2017 and the only listing under 2016 is the 1190 used in the SX and RX.

I'd guess the manufacturer could request the EPA not to publish results until a new model is released, or it may mean the new engine isn't going to show up yet.

Scott
11-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Pic of the "Diablo" turbo XB12R prototype from the May 2010 Cycle World article:

Nice! Thanks! :thumb: I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Hughlysses
11-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Nice! Thanks! :thumb: I don't think I've ever seen that before.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF of the entire article. It used to be floating around on the web but it appears to have been deleted.

The interesting part is Buell planned to engineer 3 new engines based on the Blast engine architecture, which had a high deck suited for long connecting rods and a short stroke. One would have been ~900cc, one would have been 1300-1350cc, and the final would have been a turbo'ed version of the big engine. Harley was too concerned with the "brand equity" of "883" and "1200" and didn't want to change the fundamentals of the engine.

I guess it never occurred to them they could call the engine whatever they wanted (like some of the BMW models) and optimally engineer it at the same time.

OK, back to EBR...

Scott
11-05-2016, 03:01 PM
I just checked the certification listings for motorcycles at EPA.gov:

https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-da ta/annual-certification-test-data-vehicles-and-eng ines (https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-data/annual-certification-test-data-vehicles-and-engines)

There's nothing listed for EBR under 2017 and the only listing under 2016 is the 1190 used in the SX and RX.

I'd guess the manufacturer could request the EPA not to publish results until a new model is released, or it may mean the new engine isn't going to show up yet.

IF they do something that big, it might be a while. Maybe they'll show a prototype or some sketches at the shows to get people interested and then actually release it in a year or so.

Scott
11-05-2016, 03:02 PM
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF of the entire article. It used to be floating around on the web but it appears to have been deleted.

The interesting part is Buell planned to engineer 3 new engines based on the Blast engine architecture, which had a high deck suited for long connecting rods and a short stroke. One would have been ~900cc, one would have been 1300-1350cc, and the final would have been a turbo'ed version of the big engine. Harley was too concerned with the "brand equity" of "883" and "1200" and didn't want to change the fundamentals of the engine.

I guess it never occurred to them they could call the engine whatever they wanted (like some of the BMW models) and optimally engineer it at the same time.

OK, back to EBR...

Cool! Sending it in a minute. Thanks!

Purves
11-14-2016, 07:47 AM
Less than a week... we should be seeing something cool!