PDA

View Full Version : Bike will not start.

volf
10-27-2016, 05:06 AM
After fixing the fuel gauge, the bike refuses to start.
The pump was removed and fixed and refitted to the bike.
When I had put the fuel pump back into the bike, attached hose, wiring and fuel, I would test if the reserve light had stopped being on.
Just turning on the ignition it didn't make it go out, so I thumbed the starter a few times to start it. It wouldn't.
I then noticed that I had not refitted the main earth back into the frame.....bugger.
So I might have "fried" something? Nothing that I can see has been hot.
The fuel pump runs, the starter spins but apparently no sparks. There is fuel at the injectors, I have checked the fuses and swapped the 3 identical relays around.
Disconnected the battery and held the 2 wires together for a while to "re-set" the ECU.

Any ideas please?
I posted this a few days ago under an old SX thread about the fuel light, but didn't get any response, so i thought I would give it another try with a new thread. Sorry for that.

buell-fan
10-27-2016, 07:26 PM
You say "apparently" no spark, but are you sure? Go "old school" to see if you have spark by dripping some gas onto the intake butterfly's (or a small shot of starting fluid) to see if you have fire in the holes as you try to start it. It should pop a bit when you hit the starter button. The showerhead injectors you see on the top of the throttle bodies are for high rpm's and won't spray to start the bike, even if they do have fuel to them. Send an email to tech@ebr.com and ask them about resetting the system as well.

volf
10-28-2016, 12:26 AM
Yes I haven't pulled the plugs to check the spark. I'll try your suggestion dripping some fuel onto the the intake.
Wednesday next week I will be able to borrow a spare ECU. Keep you posted.

Neal98
10-30-2016, 05:24 PM
is bike completely back together? Is the switch thats behind the tank in the correct position and plugged in?? if not, that will kill the spark at the ECM....

Neal98
10-30-2016, 05:26 PM
I did the same thing when I had my pump out... I just remembered what that switch did after a min or so of cranking with no spark.

buell-fan
10-30-2016, 05:50 PM
I did the same thing when I had my pump out... I just remembered what that switch did after a min or so of cranking with no spark.

Can you describe better where this switch is located or post us a picture for reference please. Thanks.

volf
10-31-2016, 02:04 AM
I asume this is the "fall off" switch, placed under the seat just behind the airbox?
Reffering to the riders handbook, you just need to switch off the ignition and on again to "reset" it.
It hasn't been disturbed during the operation, but I have had the off and on afterwards just to be sure.
Been away for the weekend so no news so far. Will poke around a little tonight though with petrol or start fluid.

Neal98
10-31-2016, 07:05 AM
Yes, that's the one... I had to take mine off to get to the fuel pump connector, and when I reinstalled, I had it plugged in, but laying to the side of the bike., (to make sure everything was working before I reassembled the entire bike), crank crank and no start. put it back flat and cycled the key and started immediately...

volf
10-31-2016, 02:47 PM
I didn't take the switch off. Tried dripping some petrol in the intake, no difference.
Then had the brilliant idea that it didn't want to run without the rear chain. Put that on, still no sign of life.
I will wait for the spare ECU Wednesday.

volf
11-02-2016, 03:29 PM
It roars
Preparing to change the ECU, I was fiddeling with the wires and connectors. And found that the crank position connector had drifted apart.
It must have happenend when I disconnected the fuel Line. Most embarasing but cheap solution. :rolleyes:

MegaFighterX
11-02-2016, 11:58 PM
glad you got it sorted!