PDA

View Full Version : Bronze swingarm saver that supplements the OEM chain rub...

buell-fan
09-02-2016, 07:42 PM
This is a bronze swingarm saver and chain rub I have been working on. I had 7 of these cut last week and finally got the tabs welded on them today for the installation. It utilizes most of the OEM chain rub piece, and as seen in the pictures. "Some assembly is required". The chain was adjusted to 30mm deflection per the manual, and the first 50 miles of rodding on it shows very little marking on the bronze under heavy deceleration just like I had hoped. I'm going to let sag into the chain tomorrow, and let it stay that way for a while to see how it does for wear then. But because bronze has been used as a low wear rub material for many decades I have confidence this will keep the swingarm from being chewed up from a saggy chain. Keep in mind that this is not a rub to neglect proper maintenance. It is for a swingarm saver to offer a better, but still limited protection to a saggy steel chain eating a chunk out of the aluminium swingarm in an hours ride time. Let me know what you think.

bthibodeaux
09-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Great idea and excellent work!

yamatr3
09-05-2016, 12:08 PM
I like it, where do I buy a kit?

buell-fan
09-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Yamatr3, it isn't really a kit and I'm not out to make a profit. I made them as an experiment to slow/fix the swingarm from being chewed up on a long run. So far it seems to be working well. I put slack to the chain and ran nearly three miles in tight circles in the local high school parking lot yesterday. More experimenting today. I have $82.15 into producing them. They weren't cheap, but far cheaper then a swingarm, and they are working! PM me if still interested.

Doug Porcaro
09-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Awesome!

Purves
10-19-2016, 07:56 AM
Buell-fan,

How's your bronze contraption holding up?

buell-fan
10-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Not bad. Got about 800 miles on it and the side isn't effected yet. I ran the chain with a bunch of slack in it for over 700 miles and decided that was good enough and put tension back to it last week. I need one of those wore out chains to see how bad it will wear on the side because it isn't effecting it now..

Elduche211
07-06-2017, 05:03 PM
buell-fan do you have any for sale??

Not bad. Got about 800 miles on it and the side isn't effected yet. I ran the chain with a bunch of slack in it for over 700 miles and decided that was good enough and put tension back to it last week. I need one of those wore out chains to see how bad it will wear on the side because it isn't effecting it now..

d_adams
07-06-2017, 06:25 PM
I'll refer you to this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzcEPqErSNw

http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1405-Crazy-rattle-and-flopping-chain&p=10313&viewfull=1#post10313

Set your chain tension correctly, you will not need anything extra. Check it frequently, especially when the chain is new.

EBRRider
07-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Gospel words ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Or especially if you are banging through the gears WOT with a quick shifter. :burnout: