PDA

View Full Version : Finaly got a fender eliminator (twisted designs)

recon033
07-29-2016, 12:44 PM
So i couldnt stand the rear end of my bike anymore so I finally gave in and got a twisted designs fender eliminator. I ordered it late in the day on ebay, got notification of it shipping the same night and it was here 3 days later. Thumbs up to them for that and the packaging and pictured instructions for installing their kit. Very pleased. 1042

Dewyz1100
07-31-2016, 04:56 PM
I was thinking about getting that kit...but unfortunately, I had already purchased an R&G tidy tail kit...

...not being satisfied with the R&G kit, I modified it to use the OEM tail light...no wiring mods required... :)

Check out my post about it...
http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1100-R-amp-G-Tidy-Tail-Modification

Nick
07-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Recon, from what I've seen on ebay pics, the mounting block does not have a tongue on the end of it to keep the tip of the undertail from being able to be pushed up into the tail section. Is this the case? thanks, nick.

Also, how bright is the running and stop, during the daytime? ta mate.

recon033
08-03-2016, 12:31 PM
There is no tounge but there is no issue with it being pushed into the tail section . The light is plenty bright during all applications.

There are zero wiring mods needed for this kit. It is 100% plug and play and the install start to finish took less than ten mins. I highly reccomend this kit.

Nick
08-05-2016, 09:53 AM
The earlier bikes don't have the black reinforcement strip on the tail, so the tail end is really weak. Without the tongue keeping the undertail in place, or stopping the undertail from moving up into the tail, its really easy to get a sponge jammed between the tail and undertail when washing the bike so i'd rather have the tongue. If you want to save some coin and ok with using tools, you can get the same light with license plate bracket for around 15-18 bucks from aliexpress. Just bend up some metal to make it fit, not hard if you have some time and patience. You can find the connectors you need as well so no splicing your original wiring if thats an issue. Lots to choose from. If you want to make a business out of it, head over to Alibaba.com and you'll find the same lights for 2-5 bucks, but they do generally have a minimum of 10-20 units. Heres a link for aliexpress if anyone wants to look around and save some bucks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-12V-LED-Taillight-Turn-Signal-Rear-Brake-License-Plate-Light-Bracket/32580646612.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.13.Jwll H4&scm=1007.13338.33346.0&pvid=5a15890a-d5b7-41d9-8980-f8009727ff74&tpp=1

SLO
08-05-2016, 10:30 PM
With enough time and patience you can build yourself a SX. Just buy some random metal and plastic, bend it up and there you have it. Or you can pay EBR for the finished product just like recon did. It's not like he bought some garage built crap cut with a hack saw. The bracket is CNC cut, powder coated, has all the right plugs, picture instructions and installs in less than 10 mins. But I guess having all that done is no biggie to you Nick! I don't know many people who use sponges either but hey what ever floats your boat. Someone comes out with a plug and play kit charges the same as the other bs kits on the market and you troll the guy real classy Nick! Also not sure if you have ever pushed up on the under tail with the stock fender but guess what it pushes up very easily. Sorry to burst your bubble so be very careful with your sponges.

Nick
08-06-2016, 07:07 AM
I really don't know why your bent out of shape and accusing me of trolling the guy. I think its great that there is an alternative out there to suit guys like recon who want the finished kit and its great that he has let people know about it, I'm really happy for him, I also know how delicate the tail end is as well and how mine cracked and is 500 bucks to replace, so why are you offended by me letting others know to take care when washing their bikes. Theres also a heads up for do it yourself guys. If the undertail already pushes up with the stock unit, that has a tongue built into it, then it should'nt be hard for you to see it will be worse without the tongue. Sometimes, reading things depending on what mood you might be in, may make you get the wrong impression. Theres no hatred or anything bad with what i've said and really no reason for your attack. We really just want to help each other out here. In the future if you don't like something i've said, please just ask a question rather than accuse me of doing wrong to someone. cheers mate

SLO
08-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Your first post was cool, you had questions that the OP replied to. Then your second post you pretty much discredited what he said when he said there was no issues with the tail pushing up. Next you found it necessary to post how to start a business in the OP's thread about a tidy tail he purchased. I didn't realize this was a "how to build a tidy tail" post or a post of people asking how to build something. I think everyone knows they can build their own stuff (if they choose to) and source any part they need on the Internet. Why don't you go tell everyone that purchased exhaust from DA that they could have just did it their selfs and saved a bunch of money because after all it is just a bunch of cut metal welded up.

Also I never saw any part of your post where you were happy for the guy, if you were happy for him you would have had something positive to say to his response to you. Something like cool glad your not having issues with the tail just thought I'd give a heads up from your personal experiences or that's great that the lights are bright in all lighting conditions, but you didn't. Did you purchase a kit from the same people as the OP and have a bad experience or something? If not sounds like you are just bashing them. Also I'm confused what you meant with your statement of "people like recon" what kind of person are you saying he is?
🍻 M8

recon033
08-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Nick, that's great. I'm glad you wash your bike so rough you managed to break your tail section. You seem like a very bright guy. For someone who seems knowlageable enough to make their own fender eliminator you come across as someone that has very crappy skills with your hands to break your tail with a sponge. Either way I have a 2015 with reinforced tail. And Nick, care to share pics of all your cool home made ebr parts?

Slo you have a point with all your posts thank you.

I actually work in a job shop and have access to a laser, brake press and powder coat booth. I didn't go that route for a couple of reasons. The biggest being twisted designs already bought a bunch of lights, paid to have the brackets lasered, formed and coated. I will gladly give money to someone who took the initiative to do this on their own in america over a big company somewhere who is gna mass produce some potential crap any day of the week.

When I rode Hondas, tripage led got a lot of my money for stuff like this. Would it have been cool to make my own? Yes, of course. Am I satisfied with what I got? Very much so. I have enough other projects going on that are more time consuming than this would have been, so I bought one.

SLO
08-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Nick, that's great. I'm glad you wash your bike so rough you managed to break your tail section. You seem like a very bright guy. For someone who seems knowlageable enough to make their own fender eliminator you come across as someone that has very crappy skills with your hands to break your tail with a sponge. Either way I have a 2015 with reinforced tail. And Nick, care to share pics of all your cool home made ebr parts?

Slo you have a point with all your posts thank you.

I actually work in a job shop and have access to a laser, brake press and powder coat booth. I didn't go that route for a couple of reasons. The biggest being twisted designs already bought a bunch of lights, paid to have the brackets lasered, formed and coated. I will gladly give money to someone who took the initiative to do this on their own in america over a big company somewhere who is gna mass produce some potential crap any day of the week.

When I rode Hondas, tripage led got a lot of my money for stuff like this. Would it have been cool to make my own? Yes, of course. Am I satisfied with what I got? Very much so. I have enough other projects going on that are more time consuming than this would have been, so I bought one.

Very well said recon, Glad you felt the same as I did. I am personally happy to see someone come out with a plug & play kit that is actually a complete kit and that has good reviews. There are not many aftermarket parts for our bikes and when a vendor is trying to produce parts for us we shouldn't talk crap about them. If the product was the reason your tail broke that's one thing but when you broke your tail because of your carelessness and you don't even own the product that is complete BS. But I'm done with my rant and honestly the only reason I am posting again is just to say thanks to recon for doing this review as I was curious about the product myself. I also wanted to say thanks to recon for speaking his mind like I did.

qurtrn10
08-12-2016, 05:59 PM
I am wanting to redo my earlier tail tidy with something more convenient for accessing the bolt under the tail for the rider's seat. My current license plate mount covers it, and I also had to do a lot of splicing wires to hook it up. I like how the Twisted Designs kit has the proper connections, and it looks like the plate stands out further from the tail. I saw this design on Instagram, but not in their eBay store, so I've sent them an email. Hopefully I can get the kit without the block-off plate (as I already have the one from NCCR with the tongue).

Current setup:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/IMAG4794_zps3sojbdo8.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/IMAG4794_zps3sojbdo8.jpg.html)
Twisted Designs:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/13744049_231347840597659_1647213754_n_zpsvsabobem. jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/13744049_231347840597659_1647213754_n_zpsvsabobem. jpg.html)

This new one may be exactly what I want. If it isn't, then I'll work on a flush mount plate like my current one but with a spring mount so that I can pivot it out of the way to access the bolt.

Dewyz1100
08-13-2016, 09:01 AM
EBR uses JST "JWPF Series" connectors for the tail light wiring (the three-wire connector is for the brake light, the two-wire connector is for the license plate light), along with standard "0.156" crimp-on round quick disconnect terminals for the turn signals (the set with factory masking tape was my Left Signal - ie "Tape Left On")...the blue wire being the positive, black negative...in case of LED bulb replacements...(waiting for mine to come in and verify fitment within housings before I post my own thread)

All these connector pins and housings can be had from DigiKey...They are all inexpensive, so I ordered double what I required to have spares in case of an accidental F-Up...

You will need to have the proper crimper both for the quick disconnects, and the pins that go in the housings - or spend the extra time with a set of pliers and/or soldering iron to secure the wires to them...but I have found that nothing beats a plug and play installation...I HATE modifying factory wiring unless a last resort...

Here is my shopping cart from DigiKey:

TerryS1980
08-16-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm finally home from work and got my StreetFX LED plate frame in. Haven't figured out just how to mount it yet. I could drop it down a little to get access to the bolt with an open end wrench.

Qurtrn can you post a close up picture of your mounting? I didn't buy a mount kit as I know I can find the bolts in stainless local.

qurtrn10
08-17-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm finally home from work and got my StreetFX LED plate frame in. Haven't figured out just how to mount it yet. I could drop it down a little to get access to the bolt with an open end wrench.

Qurtrn can you post a close up picture of your mounting? I didn't buy a mount kit as I know I can find the bolts in stainless local.

Sure. I work a lot this week, but I'll try to get some good pics for you by this weekend.

TerryS1980
08-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Yea I'm thinking of making a pin for the seat and put a clip on it. Similar to the seat pins ASB used to sell.

MegaFighterX
08-19-2016, 03:41 AM
I'd be interested to see how that would work out actually.

TerryS1980
08-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Got the seat pin done. Here is a link to the thread and a picture.
http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1125-DIY-Seat-Pin-with-Clip&p=7546#post7546

qurtrn10
08-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Got my Twisted Designs bracket in today. I like it. Instructions were very clear, everything went together as it was intended to, and much easier to install than the last setup I had.

Definitely recommend.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/2016-08-25%20-%20Twisted%20Designs%20license%20plate%20bracket%2 02_zpszidzwo1v.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/2016-08-25%20-%20Twisted%20Designs%20license%20plate%20bracket%2 02_zpszidzwo1v.jpg.html)

SX_Bueller
08-25-2016, 06:45 PM
That tail looks so good, but curious how it mounts under there. Does it interfere with the seat bolt? I think I was this mount on Ebay and they stated that it was a simple plug and play with no wire cutting. Does it effect the blink rate with this installed?

Thanks and looks awesome.

qurtrn10
08-25-2016, 09:01 PM
That tail looks so good, but curious how it mounts under there. Does it interfere with the seat bolt? I think I was this mount on Ebay and they stated that it was a simple plug and play with no wire cutting. Does it effect the blink rate with this installed?

Thanks and looks awesome.

The seat bolt goes through this bracket with no issues. My only concern might be added weight pulling down on the bolt while the bike is vibrating along. Might look into lock-tite options, and I'll have to look up the torque spec for the seat bolt, as I do not want that to fall out on me while on the road. Overall, I am very pleased with the plate. Definitely a step up in first bracket.

About the only thing I could see as a potential step up from this design would be a plate bracket that mounted flush to the undertail (like my 1st one), but with spring tension could be pivoted out to access the seat bolt. If someone designs that (or I have the time to do it), having a flush design is about the only thing I could see as an improvement.