PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

xenno92
07-12-2016, 06:35 PM
I went to startup my 1190sx. Lots of smoke came from the motor and it smelled gross. There was oil basically everywhere. I cant see where it is coming from at all so im guessing ima have to remove the tank to check it out. Never done this before on a bike but im willing to get my hands dirty. Any advice? Maybe pointers at what i should do?

Ill post pictures when i get home.

Thanks!

StrangeTrip
07-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Is your oil fill plug snug? It is plastic, so don't over tighten.
They have a pressurized crankcase and if the fill plug is loose at all, it will shoot oil everywhere.

xenno92
07-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Hmm i did check the plug and it felt nice and tight. I only had about 20 minutes to look at it before i had to leave. Ill take a more thorough look at it when i get back.

xenno92
07-12-2016, 08:00 PM
the fill plug was a little loose but i dont think that was it. Checked around and i still cant find where its coming from. seems like its coming from under the tank and at the same time from under the motor

for some reason i cant upload photos..

yzf29
07-12-2016, 10:08 PM
OP based on

" it smelled gross" and "Never done this before"
I'm thinking you need to take it to a mechanic some where

good luck!

xenno92
07-13-2016, 09:15 PM
lol yep. Currently trying to figure out transportation to a mechanic.

Mike
07-14-2016, 12:26 AM
xenno -

It's a good idea to give it to a person familiar with Buells.
Take it where I bought mine -
http://ontrackpowersports.com/

Right off the freeway, in Montclair. While I do my own work on my RX, these guys are very familiar with the EBR's.

Mike

mackja
07-14-2016, 06:53 AM
If your leak is on the left side of the engine it is probably coming from the crank case breather line. Open up the air box with a flash light look down on the left side of the throttle body, you will see a triangular rubber grommet with a cylindrical black plastic cap with a silver metal tang on top of it, that is the cover for the breather line. If you see any oil pooled in that area then that is where your oil is coming from. Not to many places for oil to leak, check valve cover gasket.

xenno92
07-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks Mike. Thats actually where I bought mine as well and plan on taking it. I'm just having a difficult time finding transportation for my bike there

xenno92
07-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Just an update for anyone who cares. Apparently the last time took i my 1190sx to ontrack for a service. They put 2 extra quarts of oil. didnt appear much until it got extremely hot outside i suppose. It ended up leaking through the air box. Getting my oil changed and hoping thats the end of it

yzf29
07-27-2016, 09:32 PM
^^ thanks for the update!

depechevelle
07-02-2017, 09:29 PM
If your leak is on the left side of the engine it is probably coming from the crank case breather line. Open up the air box with a flash light look down on the left side of the throttle body, you will see a triangular rubber grommet with a cylindrical black plastic cap with a silver metal tang on top of it, that is the cover for the breather line. If you see any oil pooled in that area then that is where your oil is coming from. Not to many places for oil to leak, check valve cover gasket.

Can anyone explain this a little more? I developed a pretty decent leak while riding today and once I got into the airbox I discovered the source to be this location mentioned. But what is the actual problem? There are a couple of hoses in there that seem to be cut at the top of them...at first I thought the oil was coming from the rear one...what are they? The oil seems to be coming from this area and running down the engine, hosing everything and eventually running off the kickstand.