PDA

View Full Version : Ebr low gearing kit description

Nick
07-09-2016, 07:00 PM
'Provides extra grunt off the line and reduces front tire wear by keeping it off the ground'. Gotta love that, lol.

yzf29
07-10-2016, 08:57 PM
^^

nice

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/low-gearing-kit.html

Nick
07-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Thank you kindly for adding the link. You deserve to see a little of her backside.

Nick
07-11-2016, 09:40 AM
And for those who haven't had the tail plastic off, handle with care, even when using your stands as the pointy end of the tail is very delicate. Mine has a little hairline crack, so whilst it was apart I cut a little bit of an aerosol plastic can lid and glued it on for reinforcement, from the inside. Happy Days.

Hughlysses
07-11-2016, 01:01 PM
And for those who haven't had the tail plastic off, handle with care, even when using your stands as the pointy end of the tail is very delicate. Mine has a little hairline crack, so whilst it was apart I cut a little bit of an aerosol plastic can lid and glued it on for reinforcement, from the inside. Happy Days.

The 2016 tails added a joint here with a strip of plastic separating the two halves to prevent this crack. There's a pic on here somewhere showing the update but I can't find it right now.

noone1569
07-12-2016, 06:59 AM
God damn that is expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045LAI7U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great chain, many of us run it: $132

Sprocket from Vortex - $64.95

https://www.vortexracing.com/shop/product/134137///53/

yzf29
07-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Ordered one. Pretty cool deal- bolts right on. The rear sprocket is light and nicely finished- good as any high end sprocket chain combo I ever put on a bike/ race bike.

I also ordered the Low Gearing ECU- works like a charm.

I'll be honest the bike wheelied pretty easy to begin with- this gearing doesn't dramatically change that - it still likes to wheelie !

The ECU smoothed out the idle (latest tune?) and throttle pick up seems smoother. Still a slight surge at highway speeds on steady throttle - just like my "old" race ECU did. I can let the clutch out fully at about 7-8 mph, whereas the stock gearing was slip the clutch till about 17-18 mph to full engagement.

Some pics!

yzf29
07-21-2016, 06:43 PM
The new chain spins noticeably freer than the oem one. Wierd!

zviadi
07-22-2016, 02:18 AM
What need to change ECU when installing rear sprocket with more teeth? Why not leave stock ECU?

Hughlysses
07-22-2016, 04:48 AM
What need to change ECU when installing rear sprocket with more teeth? Why not leave stock ECU?

I believe it compensates for the gearing change so that the gear indicator works accurately.

TerryS1980
07-22-2016, 08:24 AM
You can run up to 43T rear with stock ECU. If you do not change it the dash will show two 4th gears.

yzf29
07-22-2016, 10:01 AM
I believe it compensates for the gearing change so that the gear indicator works accurately.

And the traction control calibrations. I was told they still work- but not to the exacting measure as with no gearing change. I turn TC off, so would not been an issue - other than incorrect gear position indicator in higher gears

Nick
07-23-2016, 01:24 AM
So are you happy enough with the 44 that you won't bother trying a 43 or 45?

TerryS1980
07-23-2016, 08:12 AM
Although you feel more low end grunt and wheelie more, the bike actually loses HP for every tooth you go up on the rear sprocket.

Hughlysses
07-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Although you feel more low end grunt and wheelie more, the bike actually loses HP for every tooth you go up on the rear sprocket.

How could changing the gearing at the rear wheel possibly affect the power output of the engine?

yzf29
07-23-2016, 10:25 AM
So are you happy enough with the 44 that you won't bother trying a 43 or 45?

AT this point- I'm ok with 44. Not sure in my case the 1 extra or less tooth makes enough of a difference to mess with it.

My goal was to try the 44- as EBR picked that number for their kit.

Pretty cool bikes with or without the gearing change - gearing just makes it not as wacky long legged

TerryS1980
07-23-2016, 10:56 AM
How could changing the gearing at the rear wheel possibly affect the power output of the engine?
More chain contacting the sprocket therefore more resistance from the start. This article covers it well..
http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-to/bigger-rear-sprocket-makes-more-horsepower-mythbusters

Nick
07-23-2016, 05:26 PM
AT this point- I'm ok with 44. Not sure in my case the 1 extra or less tooth makes enough of a difference to mess with it.

Pretty cool bikes with or without the gearing change - gearing just makes it not as wacky long legged

I'm still running the stock ecm as well as the 41, so I know what you mean. I'll either go the 43 or 44, wait to see how she feels once the zorst is on.

Purves
10-19-2016, 07:59 AM

How's this setup holding up for you? Did you ever get your gear indicator issue fixed?

yzf29
10-19-2016, 09:47 PM
How's this setup holding up for you? Did you ever get your gear indicator issue fixed?

Not sure - I don't think I had a gear indicator issue. I wanted to avoid it- so I bought the race ECU/ geared for 44 tooth.

Purves
10-20-2016, 07:50 AM
Not sure - I don't think I had a gear indicator issue. I wanted to avoid it- so I bought the race ECU/ geared for 44 tooth.

My bad... I thought you were having that issue.

Kid Thunder
12-22-2016, 11:51 PM
How's the vibration at highway speeds? I have a 44 on my Tuono & love it. It makes city riding so much easier. The loss of top speed is of no consequence for my riding here in New England.

buell-fan
12-23-2016, 12:45 AM
There isn't any vibration to speak of in these bikes. I would go with a 43 tooth sprocket to keep sprocket and chain wear down. (Odd numbered sprockets don't wear as quick.). They drive great in the city with a 43 or 44. The highway vibes you speak of may be because of the 44 tooth sprocket. Even numbered tooth counts rotate evenly and wear down faster because the same tooth hits the same link more often.

Led Boots
12-23-2016, 07:19 AM
There isn't any vibration to speak of in these bikes. I would go with a 43 tooth sprocket to keep sprocket and chain wear down. (Odd numbered sprockets don't wear as quick.). They drive great in the city with a 43 or 44. The highway vibes you speak of may be because of the 44 tooth sprocket. Even numbered tooth counts rotate evenly and wear down faster because the same tooth hits the same link more often.

Curious if anybody has changed the front to an odd number...or if one is even available for the 1190s? I see a 17 tooth front on the EBR site, but that says it's for the 1125s. I would think a 17t front and 43t rear would be a nice setup to further extend chain/sprocket life.

mackja
12-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Currently their are no options for the front sprocket. The EBR models have a cush drive on the front sprocket, EBR tech has emphasized not to use a fixed sprocket on the bikes. Racing applications are a different story, still it will put a lot of stress on the transmission, and is not recommended. Gearingcommander.com is a great site that allows you to see how changing sprockets and tire size affects rpm's and mph.

Kid Thunder
12-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Have had pretty good wear on my Tuono with 16/44. I like the instant "thrust" with the 44.