PDA

View Full Version : Looking like late Feb for RX release

Ed / AF1 Racing
01-09-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm paraphrasing what I learned today

Production mid-February with shipping starting the last week in February. They were very confident in that new timeframe.

Apparently, they are waiting on a couple suppliers to get their production parts to EBR. In the meantime they said it is allowing them to put extra time on the prototypes which is going make the production bikes better than expected. No details given.

No one ever said building a brand new bike company was easy. At least its a very short delay unlike some other startup brands that havent produced anything yet.

Classax
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Ouch! Oh well rather it be right than rushed. And so we wait....

mackja
01-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I heard they are also waiting on WSBK to come and count the bike built, they won't make it to Troy until the end of the month. I bet money the parts hold up is Brembo! That is ok, I guess I can wait another month to get Brembo brakes.

Doosh
01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Has anyone seen a picture of this brembo braking system or have confident knowledge it actually exists?

mackja
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I did a track day at Road Atlanta in November and Geoff May was their do some durability testing on the engine, he told me they where still waiting on the Brembo version of the ZTL brake system, said they had developed a new rotor (still perimeter brake system) and that they where hoping to go with that on the RX. All the prototypes shown in Orlando still had the Nissin brake system. That is just a guess on my part about what the hold up is.

Doosh
01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm suspicious of the brembo rumor despite its source

Classax
01-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Got to go with Doosh on that one. I'm skeptical of the existence of a Brembo ZTL on the RX despite having seen a photo of the race bike RS with Brembo logos for both master cylinders. Between the weather and holidays any number of parts could have been delayed. A photo posetd on the EBR Facebook site shows production bikes with calipers, master cylinders and ect installed, 149

I can't tell if they are Brembo or not from the photo. I can't seem to find the image of the RS racebike with Brembo MC's and I don't recall which internet site first started the rumor. Motorcycle Daily perhaps... An email from EBR cites a hold for WSBK inspection at the end of the month. While I certainly welcome Brembo's expertise in all likely hood they would still be manufacturing to an EBR spec for the calipers at least, though I'd gladly welcome their master cylinders. Either way I'm fairly sure it will be worth the wait.

ljm
01-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Here is it. Same one as on the street version, at least my 2012.

Doosh
01-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Here is it. Same one as on the street version, at least my 2012.

Maybe. I need to see it from the front side to know for sure.

Classax
01-17-2014, 09:33 PM

Here is it. Same one as on the street version, at least my 2012. Yea, that doesn't look like anything different to the 1190 RS caliper and rotor set up. Like I said other than "street cred" for marketing purposes, there is no advantage to Brembo doing the calipers and rotors as they are an EBR spec design, but the MC's from them would be a huge plus.

Doosh
01-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Yea, that doesn't look like anything different to the 1190 RS caliper and rotor set up. Like I said other than "street cred" for marketing purposes, there is no advantage to Brembo doing the calipers and rotors as they are an EBR spec design, but the MC's from them would be a huge plus.

The stock Nissin caliper doesn't let enough air through it for racing, and it's got some flex. I do think an updated caliper design could bring some advantages, but I've seen no evidence that's in the works.

You can't tell if that's the same caliper or not from this view. The 1190RS caliper is not the same as the 1125r.

Hughlysses
01-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Yea, that doesn't look like anything different to the 1190 RS caliper and rotor set up. Like I said other than "street cred" for marketing purposes, there is no advantage to Brembo doing the calipers and rotors as they are an EBR spec design, but the MC's from them would be a huge plus.

It's conceivable Brembo might bring something to the table to improve the EBR design caliper. Materials, machining, minor redesign? It'll be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Classax
01-18-2014, 11:57 AM
well, I'm certainly not against it. In fact, I'm all for it. All it does is the increase the value proposition of the 1190rx. My only hang up is what ever it is is delaying me from appreciating it in my drive way and local kinks in the road.

mackja
01-18-2014, 12:21 PM
I am ready to pull the trigger on one too. Only good thing about this winter is it has kept the miles down on my KTM RC8 trade in. This waiting is killing me!!

Classax
01-19-2014, 01:21 AM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/dorna-wsbk-issues-statement-on-possible-bimota-homologation-ebr-says-they-are-ready-to-go/Yea this thread is a bit confusing that based on that, there are at least 125 bikes ready to go to dealers after FIM WSBK inspection next week. Emails from EBR indicate that shipments are delayed until the bikes are inspected. Are the first 100 or so demo bikes for dealers, with customer bikes to follow in the second wave of production? Are they not equipped with the missing mystery parts? Not that it matters but being a history buff I love knowing the great back stories. I'm proud and excited for EBR!

mackja
01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Interesting the production line photographs show no rotors on the bike with front wheel installed. Wish I could get a better look at the master cylinder to see if it is Nissin or Brembo.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/new-look-buell-fires-on-all-cylinders-as-it-ramps-up-production-b99183928z1-241022261.html

Doosh
01-19-2014, 07:15 PM
If you look at the photo gallery in the article, you can see that it's clearly a Nissin part.

But, don't despair, Nissin makes some really nice parts, it just depends on if EBR selected those.

Classax
01-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Interesting the production line photographs show no rotors on the bike with front wheel installed. Wish I could get a better look at the master cylinder to see if it is Nissin or Brembo.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/new-look-buell-fires-on-all-cylinders-as-it-ramps-up-production-b99183928z1-241022261.html

I picked up on that to. It seems to me quite odd that they would install the calibers and front wheels without the rotors. That may well be the delayed part that has spawned this thread. I could see proceeding with assembly without it, as its not that hard to install after the fact. The calibers definitely have the EBR logo them. On a side note they are going with a thicker frame insulation that covers more of the frame than in years past on the 1125's.

Doosh
01-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Any version of the 5mm finned rotor will be fine. I have one wheel with the older 5mm finned rotor from the 2009 race program, and I actually like it better than the newer part with the slots (that don't go all the way through the rotor like the holes did) milled in it. It's probably the wheel itself as much as the rotor.

For me, the main thing is keeping the cost down on the parts. I have three front wheels between two bikes, and between racing and teaching, I can expect to need to replace two of them this year. After a while, the rotors just lose their grip.

Classax
01-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Any version of the 5mm finned rotor will be fine. I have one wheel with the older 5mm finned rotor from the 2009 race program, and I actually like it better than the newer part with the slots (that don't go all the way through the rotor like the holes did) milled in it. It's probably the wheel itself as much as the rotor.

For me, the main thing is keeping the cost down on the parts. I have three front wheels between two bikes, and between racing and teaching, I can expect to need to replace two of them this year. After a while, the rotors just lose their grip.

Doosh if you are teaching with Ridesmart in Texas this year, I promise I will HUNT YOU DOWN and.....

:hail:get a 1 on 1 instruction track day with you so I can learn how to really ride this thing, plus sponge up all the tricks you have learned from years of punishing the 1125r on the track!

Hughlysses
01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Ahh, obviously EBR has developed unobtanium, which in addition to being indestructible, is also invisible and has no mass, making it the perfect material for brake rotors. The front rotors are already installed, we just can't see them. :lol:

Doosh
01-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Doosh if you are teaching with Ridesmart in Texas this year, I promise I will HUNT YOU DOWN and get a 1 on 1 instruction track day

Please do. I do plan to tech with RideSmart this year, but I generally only do ECR and Cresson. I can make 1-on-1 available there.

I am starting to do 1-on-1 coaching at ECR on member days as well.

Classax
01-21-2014, 04:08 AM
I'm curious as to whether the 125 or so production bikes to be inspected by FIM are going to be going to customers, or dealers as demos or are they mostly production test mules for Journalist. If they're going to customers would could see deliveries in early February but if they are demos then I guess we won't see them until March. This is one bike where I'm all for a technical review, as much as we can get. But the claimed power spec's and no mention of power modes, its one I'd rather ride myself before the jaded moto journalist start picking nits.

Ahh, obviously EBR has developed unobtanium, which in addition to being indestructible, is also invisible and has no mass, making it the perfect material for brake rotors. The front rotors are already installed, we just can't see them. I also noticed the front cooling duct is absent as well, guess its also made of the same stuff. Its all an up grade from the ZTL's (Zero Torsional Load) to the ENB ( Emperor's New Brakes) system.

Classax
01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm paraphrasing what I learned today

Production mid-February with shipping starting the last week in February. They were very confident in that new timeframe.

Apparently, they are waiting on a couple suppliers to get their production parts to EBR. In the meantime they said it is allowing them to put extra time on the prototypes which is going make the production bikes better than expected. No details given.

No one ever said building a brand new bike company was easy. At least its a very short delay unlike some other startup brands that havent produced anything yet.

Hey Ed,

Any updates or are we still about 5 weeks out from seeing them hit the floor? Shipping last week of Feb makes delivery like the first week of MARCH. UGGHH I hate waiting! lol

Classax
02-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I can't seem to find the image of the RS racebike with Brembo MC's
I knew I'd seen an RX race bike with Brembo MC's. Here they are...
http://ebrforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127

Doosh
02-03-2014, 08:48 AM
That's Geoff May's bike, with custom-machine top triples at that!

Ed / AF1 Racing
02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
our 1190RS has Accossato pumps on it. Not sure of the exact business relationship between Brembo and Accossato but they build almost the exact same thing. Maybe one does the forging and machinig for the other.

Accossato supplies the 1190RS gas cap too, we use them on our aprilias all the time

Classax
02-05-2014, 03:19 PM
our 1190RS has Accossato pumps on it. Not sure of the exact business relationship between Brembo and Accossato but they build almost the exact same thing. Maybe one does the forging and machinig for the other.

Accossato supplies the 1190RS gas cap too, we use them on our aprilias all the time
That RS is the bike that truly impressed me! Enough to come back to the EBR fold on a first year release first gen bike. Truly stunning. The bikes in Orlando appeared to have Nissan pumps, and the rumor mill floated the idea the RX will have Brembo parts. I know EBR store sells the Accossato units for the 1125r and 1190RS. Guess we all still have a lot to be suprised by once the RX's hit the proverbial shelves...

Classax
02-27-2014, 08:41 AM
So it looks like Nissan MC's are standard on the RX. Any thoughts from you guys who have taken delivery on brake feel. We know they have power, how's the initial bite and feel.

Doosh
02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
The sloppy lever feel in the 1125 was more a function of the rotor mounting scheme and caliper flex than the pump itself.

mackja
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Mine ships today, just got the vin number, getting number 116 in red, hope I can get it next week. I have no idea what transportation time will be from Troy, WI to Dahlonega, GA.

Classax
02-27-2014, 01:59 PM
The sloppy lever feel in the 1125 was more a function of the rotor mounting scheme and caliper flex than the pump itself.

Doosh- interesitng you would say that, it seemed to me it was more like the 1125r brakes lacked initial bite and feel, always seemed like you never new how much chain was out on the anchors until you suddenly slowed WAY down. I never thought it would be caliber mount flex.

Classax
02-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Mine ships today, just got the vin number, getting number 116 in red, hope I can get it next week. I have no idea what transportation time will be from Troy, WI to Dahlonega, GA.

Just to be clear... Mackja, I now offically hate you too!:shock: CONGRATS

Meanwhile I continue to wait here in the loan star state.:cry:

mackja
02-27-2014, 02:29 PM
My experience has been the mastercylinder on the 1125 was just junk, I installed the Accassato unit on both my track bikes, 07 XB12R with 8 piston caliper, and my 1125r this made the brakes so much better, no comparison. WIth the EBR 2015 pads I have great feel and performance. My 2 cents.

mackja
02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Just to be clear... Mackja, I now offically hate you too!:shock: CONGRATS

Meanwhile I continue to wait here in the loan star state.:cry:

HAHAHA Don't be hating man, you will be saddling up in no time. Unerstand, this waiting just sucks!!:nana:

Classax
02-27-2014, 02:52 PM
HAHAHA Don't be hating man, you will be saddling up in no time. Unerstand, this waiting just sucks!!:nana:

Yea waiting has never been my strong point. I'm the type of guy who would buy a 185hp sport bike that makes almost 65ftlbs of torque off idle just becasue I don't like having to wait the .9 seconds it takes for a 600 to rev up to make that much at redline. Its getting bad, because now even wife and kid ask me about it everyday now.

Doosh
02-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Doosh- interesitng you would say that, it seemed to me it was more like the 1125r brakes lacked initial bite and feel, always seemed like you never new how much chain was out on the anchors until you suddenly slowed WAY down. I never thought it would be caliber mount flex.

What's happening here is the slop in the rotor mounting scheme allowed the pistons to get pushed back, so when you haven't been on the brakes for a while you have to get them back into position first.

The clamshells of the caliper itself also flex, and that combined with poor heat dissipation in the initial ZTL2 design contributed to the brake drag.

My experience has been the mastercylinder on the 1125 was just junk, I installed the Accassato unit on both my track bikes, 07 XB12R with 8 piston caliper, and my 1125r this made the brakes so much better, no comparison. WIth the EBR 2015 pads I have great feel and performance. My 2 cents.

Yup, it's junk. But, freshly rebuilt it wasn't the main thing wrong with the brake system on the 1125. It wasn't good, let's be clear, but the problems with the 1125r brake system were many.

I like the 2015 pads, too.

fabric8
03-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Very cool, mine is #86

Hughlysses
03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Mackja- a guy on Badweb picked his up from RPM in Greenville, SC on Friday. His was number 90; the dealership also has number 91 as a demo. Hopefully yours shows up any day now, weather permitting!

mackja
03-03-2014, 12:58 PM
I will have to wait till Wednesday to find out, European Motorsports is closed on Monday and Tuesday, I am off on Thursday hope to be able to pick it up then. Could pick it up this weekend, but have first event of the year at Barber. Ready to ride!!!

Classax
03-04-2014, 08:25 AM
I feel both bad and elated. I was going to have to put off taking delivery until the fall because of travel plans, but the #105 was unloaded as I was about to ink a deal on a B bike. Bad because I had to cancel with one of the best dealers in the country, but elated that things worked out anyway. Pics to follow.

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I feel both bad and elated. I was going to have to put off taking delivery until the fall because of travel plans, but the #105 was unloaded as I was about to ink a deal on a B bike. Bad because I had to cancel with one of the best dealers in the country, but elated that things worked out anyway. Pics to follow.

Really...wtf?? We should have kept your deposit. Yours was arriving with us today.

d_adams
03-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Is it a yellow one? Ship it up here to STL, I want one. I need to get started on development work for the exhaust.

XB12Ron
03-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Headed to my dealership right now to see the first RX they got in yesterday!!!!!! 😎

XB12Ron
03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Closed Wednesdays, guess I should have checked hours 😒. Stop back tomorrow.....

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-05-2014, 03:02 PM
got a black one available...we're going to make the red one our demo

XB12Ron
03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
got a black one available...we're going to make the red one our demo

Honestly all the colors are great, dont know which one I like more. Guess I just have to see i person :)

mackja
03-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Hot damn! Mine just came in, picking it up next Thursday, WOO HOO!!!

fabric8
03-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Hot damn! Mine just came in, picking it up next Thursday, WOO HOO!!!

Next Thursday ? Why not tomorrow ?

mackja
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Next Thursday ? Why not tomorrow ?

Dealer is 140 miles away, have to work tomorrow, leaving a little early to go to Barber Motorsports park for my first track day of the year on Sunday. Believe me, I want it yesterday!! Next day off is next Thursday, which can't get here fast enough!!!

Hughlysses
03-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Track day or pick up new RX? Track day or pick up a new RX? That's a tough choice. :headshake:

Too bad Blue Moon didn't come through as an EBR dealer- you could have done both! Of course, picking it up in Dahlonega will give you the opportunity to take an AWESOME break-in ride on Thursday!

mackja
03-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Track day or pick up new RX? Track day or pick up a new RX? That's a tough choice. :headshake:

Too bad Blue Moon didn't come through as an EBR dealer- you could have done both! Of course, picking it up in Dahlonega will give you the opportunity to take an AWESOME break-in ride on Thursday!

Since I have already paid for the track day and hotel room the decision was not all that difficult, although I did seriously think about it! I was hoping for great weather next week, but the forecast says 46 degrees, no way will I ride in that weather, might get up to mid 50's in Macon, so first ride will have to be at home.

Hughlysses
03-07-2014, 05:20 PM
46 degrees isn't THAT bad for a ~1 hour spin. You should at least do the 60/Wolfpen Gap/129 loop. You could always trailer/truck it back from Dahlonega.

mackja
03-07-2014, 05:33 PM
60, maybe 129, Wolfpen Gap no way, that road sucks, did it on my RC8r last fall, no fun, a motard is better suited for that road. Lot of gravel on roads right now, so I might do 60, but I just hate riding in the cold, anything below 55 and I am usually a no go.

Hughlysses
03-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Yea, I didn't think about that; gravel will be a bitch up there right now.

Sorry to hear you don't like Wolfpen- my Uly LOVES it! :301: