PDA

View Full Version : Dash problem or?

Betterbuell
06-01-2016, 02:51 AM
Guys, i'm getting "communication error" coming up on my dash ? Thinking it is a faulty dash I changed to a spare one and still have the problem coming on intermittently . Answered my own question , probably not the dash so were is it coming from ? :smirk:

golfman1966
06-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Does it happen right after a cold start? I've had it a few times, and the dash resets to TC level 3 at the same time. I've noticed that it tends to do this during the first start in the morning, when that 20W50 oil is cold and thick enough that the clutch still grabs a bit (bike lurches a bit forward) when you start it. I've since started placing the bike in neutral before I engage the starter and the problem hasn't appeared again.

My theory is the additional load on the battery causes a voltage sag that freaks out the dash, but that's just a guess on my part. Do you have the Shorai or the Battery Tender battery in your bike?

GJB
06-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Maybe 2 bad dashes.... Have you tried pushing on the back of the connector (quite hard) to see if it goes away? If so it sounds like a dash problem

Betterbuell
06-05-2016, 06:05 AM
Update, I was thinking it may have been the ECU, so emailed Tim at Intelligent Design Solutions and he suggested that communication error is the ECU not linking to the dash , and to check plugs etc. I used some dielectric grease and refitted all conections, so far no error code. As its a race only bike, bit hard to test. (Do have a set of spare road tyres in the garage),maybe next weekend !