Quote Originally Posted by doosh View Post
fixed with the new slave from ebr or oberon. The real issue was the original piston would rub a rough spot on the slave cyl, and then guys would just replace the seals, but that wasn't the cause of the issue. The issue was that rough spot on the slave cyl cutting the seals on the piston.

Polishing the slave cyl and piston with 1000 grit and keeping it well lubricated solved the problem. Or, of course, just using a better part. The oberon uses a delrin cyl sleeve, ebr uses a stainless (hard) cyl. Harley's final answer was a hard anodized piston and slave cyl, and that also works.

i'm glad to hear there is a fix. At 16 miles, yes, 16 miles my first on crapped out. In 2009 no one had a clue what to do.

the sensor, or the cluster? I've noticed the clusters aren't so durable. I go through about one every season or so -- basically it just gets shaken into failure on our rough tracks. They are made by magneti marelli and aren't the most durable part, i agree.

This is something the stock bikes are prone to. I don't have the issue on my dsb-spec bike. The cooling system is totally passive -- no fans.

dsb bikes are passive? Mine had two fans and would piss fuel out the swingarm.

now * this * is something i've never heard about. You are saying a front rotor mount bolt literally sheared off? Because, i don't believe it. Those are grade 10 (i think) bolts on the front, and they have an almost unimaginably high shear strength relative to what the rotor is likely to present even under extreme braking loads.

yup. I'd post the repair receipt but i sold the bike back in '10 along with all of the docs.

now, the drive bushings will wear, and they can wear quite incorrectly and cause issues, especially if you are using the oem rotor mounting hardware, which more or less sucks across the board. That was fixed circa 2009 or so with the race mount kit, which holds the rotor close to the wheel instead of away from it.

I run ti rotor mount bolts and stock steel drive bushings. My bolts don't even really show wear (the drive bushings do, though), so i think something was wrong with the way yours was set up. Mind you, my rotor is every color possible, so i'm getting a lot of heat into the system -- more than most.

$10 says a lot of the issues were the shop's knowledge and quality of work. That's arguably still harley's fault, but i suspect if you had taken your bike to a decent mechanic the issues would have been fixed correctly the first time.

i went to two shops, the second cowboy hd was outstanding. Eric, had been to troy through all of the 1125r specific training. He would let me in the back of the shop and we'd trouble shoot together. On several occasions we called buell, "hd", and was told, and i quote, "your customer needs to simply by the full race ecu and the full exhaust. In other words, "we can do any more." i was finally told by the shop, "we had 21 1125rs here. I'm sorry we don't have a solution. I hate to say it but sell it." so did. I can't tell you the amount of time micah and i spent trying to get it to run right. I finally had to have a custom exhaust made and she ran great with a micah tune. Then the slave died again. I stripped her of my mods and sold her.
five.