Thread: Is There Any Hope for a Revived EBR?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Porcaro View Post
    Call me a pessimist but I don't think an Indian sportbike will be successful especially from a BMW designer.
    I think it depends. If they try to make the FTR1200 (which is cool as its own thing ) into a sport-bike, I agree. It's too heavy, too under-powered, and the chassis will never compete with world-class superbikes. If they're willing to hire the right people and spend enough money, and start with a clean-sheet, there's no reason they can't make their own S1000RR.

But, with him even suggesting in the interview that it might be a V-Twin, I think it would be crazy to not buy the EBR designs and start with a bike that's 95% there already for far less money (based on the $500,000 minimum bid LAP seemed to be looking for) than it would take to develop from scratch.

It would be a little frustrating and baffling if they do create their own V-Twin sport bike when EBR was there for the taking as a cheap, cool starting point that has some racing experience, American heritage, built-in fan-base etc.

Who knows, maybe they'll even reconsider and and buy EBR as part of this apparent new interest in a sport-bike.

... or it could be a whole lot of nothing and they might do nothing more than continue to make the same cruisers they've always made with minor styling/performance revisions. I'll admit they've suckered me in the past and while they keep hinting thy're going to make a performance bike, they've gotten my hopes up only to unveil another cruiser on multiple occasions already.

Even the FTR 1200 isn't real yet, but the day they unveil a production bike, they'll have the best American bike on the market (by sad default).
    Last edited by Scott; 04-05-2018 at 07:53 PM.