Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For those that do your own valve adjustment

EBRforum Junkie
    Sorry ladies, if a piece of 600 grit sand paper will remove .002" of material from a Hot Cams shim...that is NOT 60 Rockwell on the C scale...period.
    I'm sticking with real shims.

Your engine, your money...

Mike

If you're disputing the evidence, please provide your own real evidence. I for one would be very interested to see that!

EBRforum Junkie
    Thanks for taking the time to get the results of the tests to us. The hotcams shims are definitely softer, as we've been told. The kit from the St. Paul H-D is definitely worth it too. Especially if you have a couple bikes or plan on keeping them a while.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sorry ladies, if a piece of 600 grit sand paper will remove .002" of material from a Hot Cams shim...that is NOT 60 Rockwell on the C scale...period.
    I'm sticking with real shims.
    The grit on aluminum oxide sandpaper is harder than most steels, even harder (or as hard) has highly hardened steels.

EBRforum Junkie
    Mr. Doosh

Sorry, I gave the same test a try to both a Buell shim and a Harley shim.
    Guess what...not even a mark..! As I recall, I even tried fresh sand paper with WD-40...only s slight discolor. Working in the Aerospace industry for over 30 years has taught me a few things. Sand paper, files, burrs, etc. will NOT mark an item that measures 60 (or +) on the Rockwell C scale.

Although...a hammer and sharp center punch with a "hard" hit will..! Of course, that also depends on if said part is thru hard or surface hard. Then, if it's surface hard, how deep is the surface ?

Funny thing too, after calling Hot Cams and asking about their product, they told me they were as hard as they need to be for "shim under bucket"..!! Doesn't THAT say something.!

NOW...this is all about 2 two years old.
    They (Hot Cams) COULD have changed their process and materials in this amount of time to make their product usable as a "wear" item with a "hard" surface.
    If they have...good on them.

Mike

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...this is all about 2 two years old.
    They (Hot Cams) COULD have changed their process and materials in this amount of time to make their product usable as a "wear" item with a "hard" surface.
    If they have...good on them.
    For $80 you could test that theory and lay your claim to rest. http://amzn.to/2hHJ7NB

Quote Originally Posted by rb21 View Post
    The results are in. I randomly pulled one shim from each kit and sent it to the a lab at my buddies office. The pic below has the results. Looks to me that they are very similar. They did three spots on each shim using the Rockwell A and C test methods. I don't know the details of each test method- just have the results.
    Post #29

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Post #29
    I saw that. Mike is justifying his test by claiming Hot Cams might have started using hardened shims in their kits since his original file test (which isn't accurate due to varying grades of abrasive material). I was merely suggesting he solidify that claim by testing a current set of shims.

If the lab says they're hard, I believe they're hard. The only other way to somewhat-accurately test is with testers files, but that will still only give you a hardness range which will likely give you the same results as the lab test.

EBRforum Novice
    I've got mote race hours on these motors than just about anyone. I use the hot cams kit with no issue. And, one i bought about 6 years ago at that. By now its a big mix of OEM abd hot cams shims and i dont knoe which is which I've done so many adjustments on so many motors over the years.

The real complaint of the hotcams kit is the intervals are a bit coarse.