Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EBR 1190 Adventure Tourer AX

And can I just say:

'Sport-Tourer' my ass. Sure the FJR is a well designed bike and if 95% of my riding was on the highway, I'd consider something like that. But I can't imagine an FJR rider getting to a really windy back-road and thinking: 'Gee, I'm really glad I have this 650 lb motorcycle with me instead of something smaller and lighter.'

The FJR may be sporty compared to a Gold-Wing. . . but a Harley Street-Bob would be sporty compared to a Gold-Wing.

I want a bike that can not only get me somewhere, but be fun once it gets there. The original FJ 1100 was a lot closer to what I'd like than the FJR, but it seems that once manufacturers try to make a 'tourer' out of a bike it just grows and grows until it's not a lot of fun anymore.

I'm really hoping the 1190AX will help bring back the idea that a bike that can handle distance riding can be a lot of fun also.

EBRforum Newb
    I`d like to see a beefier alternator to power heated gear and extra lights. the large fuel range is good too. 250 miles to a tank is good 300 better!

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster View Post
    I`d like to see a beefier alternator to power heated gear and extra lights. the large fuel range is good too. 250 miles to a tank is good 300 better!
    A beefier alternator without the problems of the 2009/2010 1125's would be appreciated. The setup Triumph is fitting to their latest 1200 Tigers seems to be the ultimate solution. As I understand it their alternator is mounted externally and is similar to an automotive alternator in that it uses field windings rather than permanent magnets. This allows the field current and therefore the output to be modulated rather than just bleeding the excess output current to ground like has to be done with most motorcycle alternators. Oh yea, the output is 950 watts (!!!) compared to 432 watts for a 2008 1125.

More fuel would be good but I imagine it will be a challenge with the fuel-in-frame design. You can't really make the frame wider- widening it at the front would make it more prone to crash damage and/or restrict the steering lock and widening it at the rear would make the ergonomics worse. I guess they'd have to make it taller or find some place else to add some more fuel capacity. Hey- why not "fuel in swingarm" since it's not used for oil on the 1190's?

Hopefully the fuel mileage with an "adventure" tuned 1190 engine will be closer to XB levels which would help a lot with the range.

EBRforum Newb
    Yes the 1125 frame already holds more fuel than the XB frames so 50 mpg would solve the range issue. BMW`s new motor claims 125 hp and 92lbs.ft torque. Can the 1190 make those #`s, be smooth, lighter, and as versatile, not to mention beat there price!?

EBRforum Newb
    "Ed / AF1 Racing" I have a question for you. Being a dealer when you guys were interested in carrying the EBR line, did Erik or any representative from EBR pay you guys a visit and show you any rendering of future bikes?

If I were a dealership and I wanted to carry a certain brand I would want to see some goods before I signed my name on the dotted line.

There is no doubt in my mind that he's going to come up with something that has the motorcycling world grinning from ear to ear.

EBRforum Newb

Target the 1200 Multistrada genre segment, not BMW or KTM...

BIG numbers, flawless build quality, price them no worse than BMW's and have had them flogged to death for reliability / performance parameters to be met and exceeded, well before the mc journalists / John Q Public ever gets a chance to sample them, and NO TEETHING HICCUPS period.

With this, the AX will be at least to start, a very successful low production sales success. IMO

You go Erik and team !

996DL

2010 XB12X
    Last edited by 996DL; 11-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
    and have had them flogged to death for reliability / performance parameters to be met and exceeded,
    The thing is with the 1125r, it wasn't the flogging that caused reliability problems. It was guys riding them like pussies that created all the issues. Fueling, stators, brake "pulsing", you name it. All a function of guys NOT riding the bikes instead of flogging them.

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Doosh View Post
    The thing is with the 1125r, it wasn't the flogging that caused reliability problems. It was guys riding them like pussies that created all the issues. Fueling, stators, brake "pulsing", you name it. All a function of guys NOT riding the bikes instead of flogging them.
    Hopefully EBR's testing regimen for new models will include flogging AND riding them like wussies.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Doosh View Post
    I didn't ride mine like a "pussy" and it a had ALL of the problems you mentioned, along with a host of others. Care to explain?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3572726438_2cd9ea7c80_b.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	55  

Attached Images Attached Images  

EBRforum Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    I didn't ride mine like a "pussy" and it a had ALL of the problems you mentioned, along with a host of others. Care to explain?
    The truly systemic problem with these bikes, the stator, fails when the bike is ridden consistently below 6k RPM. Unfortunately, this is a common condition for guys that commute, or ride in traffic, or have modified exhausts and "keep the revs lower" so the bike isn't so loud in the neighborhood.

When you do that, you get less cooling oil on the stator, it overheats, and the insulation fails.

It's not so much a function of doing the occasional track day, it's a function of not CONSISTENTLY ALWAYS keeping the bike wrung out. After owning 5 of these bikes, with over 60,000 miles in the saddle of one, and having NEVER had a stator failure, I'd say I'm in a position of knowledge on this topic.

What track is that in the top picture?