Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Buell old to Motorcycles

EBRforum Newb

New Buell old to Motorcycles

Quick note to introduce myself: I just purchased a new Buell 1190 Hammerhead Freedom Edition from the factory, number 12 of 40 Anniversary Additions. ItÂ’s going in the stable next to 23 HD SG ST and 24 KAWI KLX 300. Been riding since childhood, fist street bike was a 79 Steel Head Sportster, I purchased when I was 16 and rode it to Highschool and in my early days in the army, didnÂ’t own a car until I was 20.

I have always loved the Buell brand and considered buying one when it was under HD but never pulled the trigger. Now that I have more time to myself, I saw the Red White and Blue Hammerhead and knew it needed a new home. Take delivery in the first week in May!!! BOOM!!!.

I joined the group because most of you guys have been on BuellÂ’s since the early days and I can learn from your experience and mistakes. Why?? Because I canÂ’t leave **** alone, and I like throwing money into black holes like motorcycles, cars and guns. Already have a pile of aftermarket parts for the hammerhead just waiting for it arrival.

So with having said all that I would like to thank everyone in advance for any support or help or advice they offer when I’m confused, stuck or at an impasse. Hope to post pictures soon of the “MERICA” when it arrives, till then my Buell and two wheeled brothers, Adios!

JH

Welcome to this quiet little corner and congrats on the new bike Please post a bunch of pics when you get it!

I have ridden most of my life as well and I feel the 1190 is the very last analog Hypersport bike that will ever be made and it is THE most violently accelerating motorcycle I have ever ridden. That includes a 1290 Super Duke!

BTW I have a massive parts stash of OE and aftermarket stuff (RG sliders, APH race exhaust, to swing arms, and subframes, wire harness, ECM's, headlights....)

They are pretty dang good stock, but I'm also a garage fiddler and here's the BEST mods I have done. I wrote about most of them on here:

1) Oberon clutch slave cylinder. If you can't find it by application it's the same as any 1125 (Rev 2 clutch cover), took that heavy clutch lever pull to half.
    2) Quickshifter. Why TF they never came with one??
    3) 43 tooth rear sprocket
    4) Get the "tips' ECM from IDSpd.com and take off the resonator at the least (it will also calibrate the shift indicator to the sprocket you get). It's thumpy and good volume. Any complete muffler system I've heard is LOUD.

For maintenance:
    1) It is VITAL that you align the rear wheel and set the chain slack properly, and do NOT lug the engine around town at 3-4K RPM. Doing either wrong will eat up the plastic chain guard that goes through the swingarm, very quickly.
    2) Keep on a Tender. Trying to start these with a weak battery is very hard on the starter and the Voltage Regulator.
    3) If you run a fast pace or trail brake, run Motul 660 for brake fluid. The rotor runs REALLY hot, it made a big difference.
    4) Find an old Dave Moss video and set up your ergos. Pretty straight forward, doesn't need to be about the 1190. I couldn't go more that 100 miles without pain until I did that.

Ride fast! Take chances!;)

I converted an SX to a RX a few years back and went all 1940's fighter Capt. America with the paint.

EBRforum Newb
    Cooter, thanks for all the advice, its well-received and keep it coming, never been a track guy, always been a cruzer and ride across the country regularly, I live in Abq NM and have kids in Knoxville TN and Winston Salem NC so Im doing I 40 via motorcycle couple times a year. I bought the Hammerhead out of love for country and support of the brand, but I can’t leave **** alone so Im going to trick it out and ride it for fun. I’m glad this forum has guys like you who don’t mind sharing what you’ve learned. I look forward to picking your brain in the near future.

EBRforum ProvNov
    Also, for Cooter's A-4, if you go with the Tips setup (which sounds gorgeous btw) don't ride in the rain, assuming your "breadbox" is the same as my 2014; mine is mild steel and was very badly rusted when I replaced it with the APH/NCCR system #991044. The APH system is no louder than the Tips setup, but it does lack the basso profundo timbre of the Tips that you get to bask in when you're stopped :) I'm told the APH system sounds no different to the tip once you're underway.

For B-3 I would also suggest swapping out the stock front brake pads if you tend to get aggressive on the brakes, which I found to overheat and smear all over the rotor whenever I got a little over-enthusiastic, so the ride home would be with a heavily vibrating front brake. No fun when you're 200 miles from home. I switched to Braking CM55 which have worked well from stone cold and wet. There are other options - Braking CM77, Brembo SC, but they supposedly need a moment or 2 when cold or wet. I'm already running Motul RBF600 brake fluid - I run that in everything, cars included back in the day, it firms up the lever/pedal a lot.

One other thing I would change is the seat if you're planning on 200+ mile rides, I couldn't do 150 miles with the stock seat and still walk afterwards. The most comfortable I had so far is from Sargent, I can do 350 miles and still walk upright. I've read that Corbin might do one too, which I'm sure would be good as well.

I did switch to ASV levers, but didn't like them and went back to stock, they didn't suit my hands.

EBRforum Newb
    ACM, thanks for tips, my plan is to do some mid range touring on it so the seat recommendations is spot on, I already ordered the racing exhaust tips and ECM, base on your and CooterÂ’s advice on the rust going to old school and have one my buddies make some old school flappers like on Harley turn ups. Already picked up some ASV leavers and a tinted larger bubble wind screen, I need a hook up on a non locking gas cap, canÂ’t locate anyone who still making the for EBR/Buell.

Definitely look into the brake pads, it gets hot here in ABQ during the summer so sounds like something that could be useful.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and keep them coming, like I mentioned to Cooter my racing days are way past me but dressing the bike like a queen going to Sunday lunch and carving the canyons her in NM and riding circles around my Harley and Indian buddies will fun for my old 60 year old a**. Got to get the wheelie thing down on this bike as well, be hoot doing a wheelie down Main Street during the Red River Bike rally.

EBRforum Newb
    Cooter, is the Oberon clutch slave cylinder default to instal or does a certified mechanic need to instal it. Like must other things with these bike I had to get Indian of Albuquerque to step up and be delivery point as well as a Service Center, Lead mechanic has been on Harley’ s for 35!years the went in 1/4 on the ownership of the Indian Dealership when it opened 8 years ago.

What 43 tooth sprocket would you recommend? Most of my riding will be done above 7000 ft above sea level so I figured I’d better regear the back sprocket so I won’t be shifting so much.

EBRforum Newb
    Love bike BTW, looks awesome

Thanks! It was a ton of fun in that RX config. Got a lot of attention and certainly made more sense than seeing American Flag graphics on a Kawasaki

I found this bike to be one of the easiest and simple bikes to work on. I have a ton of Buell experience, so maybe I just 'get it'? Anything major, like valves at 7K will need a frame split. Don't be skeered! Once you do it, it's super simple and engine access is worth it.
    2 at a time! LOL
    Engine in the CR and valve check on the 1190, do I need another lift? NO! haha

The Oberon swap is literally an R&R. I did it the middle of July 2018 if you want to search for the thread, maybe on BuellXB.com there is a rambling EBR thread called "Well, bye.."? I forget. It was a little fiddly with the tight fit, but otherwise an easy swap. Line up the hole. I have more pics if you want them.

There was a guy named Stitch on here that made pretty sweet 1190 seats, I think I also saw him on e-bay, but any upholstery shop should know what to do (a little higher in the front so your balls get a break from being jammed into the airbox, and some gel padding).

I don't know what you mean about the correlation between shifting and elevation? The bike will adjust itself tune-wise with either ECM so elevation won't be an issue, and the bigger sprocket will just lower the shift point MPH, but won't make you shift any more or less often depending on your perspective.

Since the OE sprocket was aluminum, I just got a good quality aluminum one. I like the Super Sprox for my MV, but don't think they have an 1190 application?

I also agree 100% with ACM on brake pads. I'm running the Brembo's (not the MotoGP compound ones) and love them. Huge difference, stopped the 3rd lap brake fade the rotor from turning blue too!

EBRforum ProvNov
    I tried the Stitch seat, at 200lbs in gear I squashed the foam completely flat in 15 minutes, very unpleasant. I also tried my car upholsterer, but he said car seat foam is way too soft for this application and he was correct, squashed flat just as quickly as Stitch's seat. My previous bikes' seats were done by a local motorcycle-specific shop, and they worked out perfectly however they used replacement dirt bike seat foam; they closed up 15+ years ago, so wasn't an option for the RX seat.

I have one of those funny-coloured rotors hanging on the wall downstairs too :) There comes a point (at least for me) where you can't bring it back to life again.

EBRforum Newb
    ACM, Cooter, one you guys send me pic of your Wilber rear shock. That and the sprocket will be my first big mod. Cooter did you have to change your chain when you went to the 43?

When I went to 13/43 spotters on my KLX last year I was able to use the stock chain. Did give it better shift points for dirt road riding here in NM.