Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Buell old to Motorcycles

I know I posted pics here, it was a long time ago. Worth the wait though! It's quite a real sexy thing. I kept a small screwdriver with me and fiddled with knobs every Saturday for a month, man what an upgrade for mid corner control and hard corner exit. Its super planted now. I also really liked being able to dial in the amount of pre-load I like (a lot) and still keep the tail a reasonable height.

You can fit up to the 44 with the stock chain if you run the adjusters all the way in on mine. When you do get a chain, get the nicest one you can. It is trying to stretch it with all that 1190 torque

EBRforum Newb
    Cooter, thanks brother. Been doing the deep dive into past post trying to see what all issues I'm in for.

From what I figured out, you have been on this forum for a long-time brother, got to give it to you for being loyal!!!

Other than the recommendations you made in one of your first post do you have knowledge of what has changed in the current version of the 1190? Its hard going back through the forum and figuring what has changed/updated with the bikes at the manufacture (if any) over the years.

Have/do you talk to the factory reps still, if so, how is that relationship? I only ask because you seem to be a wealth of great knowledge and is current Buell doing what Harley and Indian has done by reaching out to guys like you trying to figure out what the consumer wants and how to improve their product.

I can tell you from the time I decided to pull the trigger on the Hammerhead (version 3 of 1190) the current Buell has been responsive and on point, now they may change once I take possession of the bike and things start to go south.

Like you, I'm a fixer stayed with Harley during the good times and bad, did Indian when they were in Kings Mountain and under Polaris, I don't bitch about **** just go out and fix it, but I am smart enough to leverage past knowledge and experience, so I'm interested in your opinion on rather my loyalty to another American motorcycle brand is misplaced and I'll be let down or I'll be proud of those greasy handed mechanics up north who (with my fingers crossed ) took the time and effort to insure that my piece of Americana is done right.

Thats important to me, why because when I go to bike rally, and Im sitting around discussing what I brought, I want to be proud of it.

I see where Buell is trying to get into the cruiser market, and they have been well received by the younger generation, they did the collaboration with RS on the bike. Having owned a HD LR ST , I can see the appeal of Buell's bike, twice the power, just as nimble, better suspension, what's not to like. What your take on it?

Sorry for such a long post and to put you on the spot but had to get it out there and see where the wind takes it.

Thanks
    John

No worries, it's pretty quiet around here:( I just stalk it now and then.
    My SX is #000024 from 2014, and I also know who Erik gave the very first #000001 SX off the line. He's local and a super cool guy. Ya you could say I couldn't wait haha.

Honestly for being one of the very first ones, I have been very very happy with its build quality and dependability. Had a small issue with current drain before I got it a dedicated tender and a dash update, had a bigger issue when the bolt in the clutch basket broke in half and shot out of the case at 10,000 rpm, lol. But really really impressed with it.

The changes made since the very first ones are remarkably small too. Mostly a software update for the dash is it AFAIK? Otherwise all the 1190s were pretty identical including the (gasp) Evap solenoid that a facebook group deemed dangerous. Unironically, the dude that designed that 'fix' works for the New Buell as their "lead Engineer". We've met and track day'ed together (I wadded my RX that day turn 12 Buttonwillow). He's never had any training as any type of engineer. But I digress.... My point is, even that 'upgrade' is not on the new 1190's.

Other than the small changes I mentioned (like rear sprocket alignment/don't lug it/ and chain tension to save rear chain guide wear) I'd highly recommend those mods above to personalize it, and do the rear pipe slip fit if you want access to 90% more of the engine without splitting the frame. In fact I believe APH makes that type of system now? VERY nice exhaust.

It is something to be proud of. The American Legacy, the bike itself, and even the whole story. You'll get a ton of background info off of Badweatherbikers.com. Its no where near EBR specific but quite a few of those guys worked at Buell back in the day and love storytelling.

I love that SuperCruiser that Bill had RSD make! I think its a perfect use for that radical V-twin! I really do hope they get to production. Looking at it makes me remember way back, I was riding my 1986 Ninja 600R, and was stoplight racing my roommate on a FZ700, when a Honda V-max just passed us both up, mid-drag race . That SuperCruiser, looks like it would eat a FatBob for lunch, and thats sayin' something!

Can't wait to see pics of yours, you must be just so excited!

Sorry for the long reply, haha.

EBRforum Newb
    Cooter, do have or know vendor for the 43 T rear sprocket? Searched the forum seen some might work sent Jens a message at NCCR, he doesn’t believe he has any left, tried to a search in the info web, Nothing, “got to use my phone a friend” card LOL.

I want to get the sprocket changed out as soon as the bike arrives to make more street drivable. I already have racing ECM and tips so plan to do it all at one time.

Thanks
    John

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerhughes View Post
    Cooter, do have or know vendor for the 43 T rear sprocket? Searched the forum seen some might work sent Jens a message at NCCR, he doesn’t believe he has any left, tried to a search in the info web, Nothing, “got to use my phone a friend” card LOL.

I want to get the sprocket changed out as soon as the bike arrives to make more street drivable. I already have racing ECM and tips so plan to do it all at one time.

Thanks
    John

Cooter, disreguard my last post, I called Vortex this AM and they are cutting two 43T for me and shiping them out. The rep said Factory Buell just orderd 10 from them for their race bikes. Did not know Buell still had a team?

Thats awesome! and neither did I? Vortex might be confused? The New Buell did a hosted track day awhile back and hired the old racers to lead people around, maybe they are going to do another one of those?
    But, man a Buell race team in 2024 would be amazing! Frankly surprised they don't have the ability to just CNC whatever they want?