Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My 2014 1190rx Arrived Today

EBRforum Newb
    Chances are with that wrong number in the VIN it won’t matter if you put the evap system on. DMV is just following the rules set forth.
    Just get a plate from out of state and ride the heck out of it to put on the 7500 miles. Been done before, you’re not the first to get bit by this.
    Should be able to get the dealer who sold it to you to work something out. They’re the ones who screwed up shipping it to California.

Quote Originally Posted by White SX View Post
    Chances are with that wrong number in the VIN it won’t matter if you put the evap system on. DMV is just following the rules set forth.
    Just get a plate from out of state and ride the heck out of it to put on the 7500 miles. Been done before, you’re not the first to get bit by this.
    Should be able to get the dealer who sold it to you to work something out. They’re the ones who screwed up shipping it to California.
    I agree with you ,they know the laws, its there business. They need to be held accountable. They just wanted the sell $$$.

EBRforum ProvNov
    I really doubt they know anything about the VIN codes. CARB would probably know but not DMV. They're only asking for a letter of compliance from the manufacturer. If I can scrounge up the parts, (already found some] document the installation with a video and get it to someone working with EBR, maybe they could sign off on it for me.

stupid uploader flipped it 180 again but at least it can be read.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	2032  

Last edited by Brian S; 07-14-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Call EBR and talk to a Tec , Ask for Dan Hurda

Director of Engineering at EBR Motorcycles

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/

Last edited by EBRRider; 07-14-2018 at 08:05 PM.

I'll check my Vin# tomorrow, but I highly doubt it's a Cali bike.
    Like I said, I might be worth a AAA membership to just register it there and avoid the DMV altogether.
    You have the certificate of origin from EBR? or a title from LAP?

Edit:
    My 10th digit is "E"?
    and a phone call to EBR would be in order. I don't know if it's a whole evap system thing or most likely a ECM program change. They would certainly know the most.
    Last edited by Cooter; 07-15-2018 at 12:10 AM.

EBRforum Junkie
    Kim is still there fielding calls, she'd definitely know everything there is to know about the VIN and how it works.

EBRforum ProvNov
    It isn't the 10th digit actually. You have to look at the owner's manual to make sense of it. They have a screwy way of counting digits.
    2014 EBR Owner's Manual page 25
    https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/833e9...b81.pdf#page25

They've been using EVAPs on cars since the early '70s. It's to prevent gas vapor in the gas tank from venting directly into the atmosphere. The description is on page 125.
    https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/833e92_b2d00b87174345cf8ec9ee556b45fb81.pdf#page12 5

There could be other CA differences as mentioned but that was the only thing I found specified in the manual. Even a ECM change is doable.
    The certificate is from EBR. AAA has to abide to the same rules as the DMV. At this point if I try to go someplace else they're going to ding me on late fees. CA doesn't give you a lot of time to register.
    Last edited by Brian S; 07-15-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Ok then, mines a "0" for USA (Cali). Thats why I had no issue. Lucky I guess.
    I haven't seen an evaporation system (charcoal can) on the bike? Your link is inop. I'll have the whole thing apart soon (valve adjust) so I'll know for sure. But easily added if thats the case.

Yes, of course AAA has to abide by the same rules (they even use the same system) I was just curious because with such a low production bike if they are entering it manually and the AAA would be less strict to get you out of there (or not know the difference). I have shown up there with a wet piece of paper and 1/2 a license plate and walked out with a title and new tags.

Cali won't charge late fee's if they get the transfer fee's now even without titleing the bike. So pay them now. It shows earnest and will play well in your favor. If it all goes to Hell, you'll get your $$ back from the DMV.

1) Call EBR. I'd guess it's an ECM change and possibly a EVAP can and thats it. They'll know, and are really helpful.
    2) You could transfer title to any 49-state you wish with simply an address. Even with a Cali drivers license. I do. Who cares if it's a Cali title?
    3) The dealer that sold it to you has some responsibility here, have they responded to you?

This brings up my question (in another thread) of how the heck does a place like Orange County Choppers sell their crap (with carburated S&S motors) in Cali without CARB/EPA/DMV BS?

There ain't no EVAP can on those things....

Whats the difference between a 'manufacturer' of 1200-ish EBR's in 3 years, and OCC's (I assume) 'special construction' thing by the thousands?

Brian S.
    I have a the same 49state bike, bought it new in 2014 from a dealer in Arizona, I live in So.California. (at the time EBR couldn't get the bike to pass smog for California) bike is still registered in Arizona. If you want, private message me and I'll explain possibly what I believe to be your best options. FYI, I just purchased a second 49 state bike that I will be doing the same thing with. It can get really expensive doing this. You will have to have a Nevada or Arizona address, you will have to have an Insurance broker that can write Insurance policies in that state. (this means separate insurance) You may also get hassled by Law enforcement in your area for riding an out of state bike in California, I say all these things because I have experienced them all.

You can register it in California once it has the 7500+ miles on it, but it is expensive, I just last month checked into transferring my EBR since it now has 7500 miles on it, they wanted another $1300.00 to register it in California. I decided to keep it in Arizona, and start transferring all my bikes to AZ.

If you get lucky maybe EBR can help you out with that letter and you'll be good.
    fknroger