Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New RX owner

EBRforum Newb
    Perfect -- Just needed to read a little closer! Beer is on me!

Any video that says "torque to spec" means they didn't bother to look it up.

Because:
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...FTewDeBicIQ03M

Heres a good aftermarket parts list. Right here in this forum!
    http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1...ght=parts+list

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Any video that says "torque to spec" means they didn't bother to look it up.

Because:
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...FTewDeBicIQ03M

Heres a good aftermarket parts list. Right here in this forum!
    http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1...ght=parts+list
    Every single one of the service manual videos says "Torque to spec"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Perfect -- Just needed to read a little closer! Beer is on me!
    I think you'll have to buy that beer for my friends when they're in Vegas over Memorial Day

Thats different gdisaac07.

The official service manual says "torque to spec" so they can provide the most current, updated specs in one place. i.e. the XB oil drain plug fiasco, or even the EBR race rotor mounting bolts.

But some dude in his garage making an iPhone video of himself installing grips with a heavy metal soundtrack in the background, and he says 'torque to spec' as he cranks on a bolt with vice grips. 99.9% of YouTube is that guy

That's my point... to be careful and use your own brain. I don't put that much faith in youtube as a teaching source for technical problems. But it is a great study of human nature! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thats different gdisaac07.

The official service manual says "torque to spec" so they can provide the most current, updated specs in one place. i.e. the XB oil drain plug fiasco, or even the EBR race rotor mounting bolts.

But some dude in his garage making an iPhone video of himself installing grips with a heavy metal soundtrack in the background, and he says 'torque to spec' as he cranks on a bolt with vice grips. 99.9% of YouTube is that guy

That's my point... to be careful and use your own brain. I don't put that much faith in youtube as a teaching source for technical problems. But it is a great study of human nature! lol
    I totally agree! Though in my experience, most people ignore torque spec anyways.
    2017 EBR 1190SX
    2009 Buell XB12scg

You are so right. A good short story:

Went to a friends house for beers and his "car-guy" buddy was swapping pads on his own car in the driveway. The whole time he's spouting off how much he knows, he actually said "Be sure to torque to spec...". I honestly thought he was asking, so I went to my buddies box and grabbed the torque wrench for him. I handed it over and got the funniest, quizzical look from him. He didn't even know how to unlock the grip to turn the setting up. Never even held one before! Had a good laugh over the one

EBRforum Junkie
    Absolutely rich story there. I've been wrenching long enough to know when I'm pretty close to most torque specs (in ft/lbs anyway) and I floored my boss a few years ago when I was doing a service/repair job on a Quincy 740 air compressor. The drive coupling had disintegrated completely, I was in the process of replacing it and he was standing there looking over my shoulder. As I was buttoning it up, he nonchalantly asked "Hey, you gonna torque those bolts?" to which I replied, they're right at 25-27 ft/lbs. No, I didn't have a torque wrench handy but I KNEW it was spot on. Ever the disbelieving boss, he goes off and gets a calibrated torque wrench and INSISTS that I check them. I said "Nope", he replies back "You're fired if they're not right and I'm checking them RIGHT NOW." All 8 bolts, both sides of the coupling, 26 ft/lbs exactly. I was never questioned again about anything I'd tightened down "to spec". I still work there, the boss has since retired.