Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New RX owner

EBRforum Newb

New RX owner

Hey everyone, I've browsed here before, own a few Buell bikes and just purchased a brand new 14 RX. It should be here tomorrow morning and I have to say I'm pretty stoked ! I'm just curious of what things I should do to the bike right away, not like mods, but things to do too prevent any common issues. I know my other bikes have their little secrets and I'm sure this bike is no different.

Thanks in advance for any info, Steve

Hey Steve, congats on the RX! Since its a '14 you should check out the sticky thread on common problems with those bikes:up:

Did you pick up that red one in Westfield, Massachusetts, if so you stole it .!!!

EBRforum ProvNov
    Congrats and welcome to the club! Did you get your new in box 14 from the Indian dealer in MA? I bought mine new in box last Feb from them and they still had one or two left. I am certain that in years to come this will end up as one of those legendary bikes like the Vincent Black Shadow or Honda CB750. Mine has been fairly reliable other than the starter which left me stuck after two rainstorms. If you don't replace your stock starter it will fail on you. The bike is a pain in traffic with it's gearing and HEAVY clutch but with the 44t sprocket and reduced effort clutch kit all those problems go away. Like you I have had (still have) Buells and this bike has all that great Buell DNA in the design but the difference in raw power is impossible to describe!

Your bike will come with the battery fuse pulled so your battery will probably still be good, the battery is a nice lithium battery and mine started right up, if time allows put it on the trickle charger overnight before starting. Follow the break-in procedure and get your oil/filter in stock because you will go through the break-in period faster than you think! And don't forget to check your tire pressure, mine had just a few PSI remaining.

My suggested to do list would be:

New version of the starter, they are cheap on Ebay/Amazon etc. They are used on other bikes.
    Purge/replace all fluids
    44 tooth sprocket kit (HUGE)
    Secondary muffler delete kit
    IDS ECU to support the above two mods, you can swap the sprocket without the ECU update (gear indicator will be off) but it is mandatory for the muffler delete!
    Reduced effort clutch kit
    Tail tidy kit

EBRforum Newb
    You believe, I am the guy that stole that machine... Cause whoever won it on eBay decided not to follow through with the deal. I feel blessed.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hey Steve, congats on the RX! Since its a '14 you should check out the sticky thread on common problems with those bikes:up:
    I've been on many forums, lots of time on NSRWorld even.... Guess why. I can't seem to locate the "sticky" deal here ??

Steve, Above Subarubrat pretty much hit on your main concerns with the 14 bikes.

My suggested to do list would be:

New version of the starter, they are cheap on Ebay/Amazon etc. They are used on other bikes.
    Purge/replace all fluids
    44 tooth sprocket kit (HUGE)
    Secondary muffler delete kit
    IDS ECU to support the above two mods, you can swap the sprocket without the ECU update (gear indicator will be off) but it is mandatory for the muffler delete!
    Reduced effort clutch kit
    Tail tidy kit

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    I can't seem to locate the "sticky" deal here ??
    Because I'm an idiot

Here ya go!
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1504295464

"Comm error/failed displays
    Poor welds on front header pipes/failed front headers
    Faulty low fuel sensors
    Fuel pump wiring connector issues (pins physically displaced; easily corrected)
    Poor casting quality at "spikes" in center section of rear wheel (cosmetic issue)
    Cracking bodywork, particularly tail section (changed to 2-piece design during 2015 run)
    High clutch effort (changed to lighter clutch springs in 2015; offered as free upgrade for earlier bikes)
    Poor end cap seals on starter motors with a date code stamp prior to 2014/07/29."

Most of these issues are pretty rare. I have a very early 2014 SX (#24) and haven't had any of them. Most everything was found and fixed quickly in the mfg run for these bikes.

You didn't ask about mods, but the above lists are right on:) the steel 44T rear sprocket from JD Mfg for $25 is by far the best mod to make it city friendly, add a quickshifter and these are friggin amazin.

IMO the "high clutch effort" isn't something I'd try to correct with the later/lighter springs while simultaneously adding a bunch of power with an ECM change. I might do one or the other, but not both. Pick your poison...Opinions vary.
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-08-2017 at 12:16 AM.

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks for the responses guys. So it seems there isn't much at all to worry about. That's good...

If it's geared anything like my 1125R I don't think there will be issues, nor with the clutch pull. I'm pretty sure the guy said he put an EBR clutch master on it for whatever reason.
    The exhaust will definitely be swaped, I have an FMF on the R it just sounds absurd and I love that !

I'm pretty sure the guy said he put an EBR clutch master on it for whatever reason.

What do you mean ^^^ they all come with the above, on the 15 ,16 17, they have put lighter clutch springs in for a lighter pull.