Thread: New brakes for the RX

EBRforum Newb

New brakes for the RX

Hey all! Just bought some new front and rear brake pads for the 1190RX. Ended up going with Fedoro front pads and EBC HH for the rear. I read on here that the Fedoro pads are a close second to SBS but 1/3 the price and I've only tracked the bike once so they will get mostly street miles.
    Anyway, just a quick question. I plan on doing the exchange next weekend and wanted to know from those of you out there who have already done it… are there any unforeseen challenges I should expect? Or is it a straightforward as any other bike? Also are there any torque specs I should know about in regards to the caliper? I've changed brakes on a few cars in my days, but never a bike. So it will be a learning process for me. Thanks in advance for the input!

Mods so far are really just some carbon fiber pieces, double bubble wind screen, and Dean Adams exhaust with 44T sprocket and tune. May get a Showa race rear shock or just go with the Ohlins but that's another story!

EBRforum Junkie
    Its pretty simple to swap the pads, but I suggest while you're in there you clean out each of the pistons in the caliper. This is the most significant improvement you can do it. Its pretty easy too. Grab an old toothbrush, can of brakeclean and your old pads +zipties. use old pad and zip tie to lock up all the pistons except one, pump brake a bit, clean off the piston, repeat for all 8. Guaranteed to provide better brake feel instantly!

EBRforum Newb
    Thanks for the tips. If it's that easy then yes I will definitely do that. I appreciate the help!

EBRforum Junkie
    No problem.

Remove the caliper by the two big hex bolts that hold it to the fork.

Them remove the two hex bolts in the middle of the caliper, the silver ones on this one, should be the same.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...838/316307.jpg

Then the pads come right out!

EBRforum Newb
    Stupid question. Doing the brakes today and do I need to take the rim off? Was hoping I didn't have to as I don't have an axel lift yet but the caliper won't seem to wiggle off without it. The fork sliders seem to be in the way. Please help as I've started and now can't finish

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by PADicus1487 View Post
    Stupid question. Doing the brakes today and do I need to take the rim off? Was hoping I didn't have to as I don't have an axel lift yet but the caliper won't seem to wiggle off without it. The fork sliders seem to be in the way. Please help as I've started and now can't finish
    Did you figure it out? The front rim needs to be rotated to match the spokes up with the grooves in the back of the caliper. Then it will slide out so you can access them easily.

EBRforum Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by noone1569 View Post
    Its pretty simple to swap the pads, but I suggest while you're in there you clean out each of the pistons in the caliper. This is the most significant improvement you can do it. Its pretty easy too. Grab an old toothbrush, can of brakeclean and your old pads +zipties. use old pad and zip tie to lock up all the pistons except one, pump brake a bit, clean off the piston, repeat for all 8. Guaranteed to provide better brake feel instantly!
    If you DON'T do this, you wind up pushing dirt up into the caliper past the seals, which can cause the brakes to stick, drag, and/or progressively apply without warning. DAMHIK.

EBRforum Newb
    Quote Originally Posted by buell-fan View Post
    Did you figure it out? The front rim needs to be rotated to match the spokes up with the grooves in the back of the caliper. Then it will slide out so you can access them easily.
    I tried this. I'm working on it again now. It seems as though the attachment to the fork is in the way and I can't seem to get it off. The rim notches are lined up but still nothing. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will do that. I just got the forklift in the mail so I can use that if needed. Thanks for the help. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll hoist it up tomorrow and go from there.

EBRforum ProvNov
    after you line the grooves up, you slide it back off the rotor, then away from the bike, right?

sorry to necro the thread. First time looking at this sorta thing.
    Last edited by MegaFighterX; 02-16-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Typically I will have it on stands, remove the front fender and the front axle (partway). Then you can rotate to fork leg to get the mounts out of the way. I'm just too worried of wheel damage to try to wiggle it.

If you are just swapping pads do what noone1569 said. No need to pull the caliper off.