Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&G Tidy Tail - Modification

EBRforum ProvNov

Cool R&G Tidy Tail - Modification

Greetings forum members...

Just wanted to share a recent modification that I made to my 1190RX...I started out with an R&G Tidy Tail Kit...

The R&G kit came with a tail light, but seemed like a PIA to splice wiring...and the #4 threaded studs seemed pretty cheap considering the cost of the kit...

I wanted to find a way to use the OEM tail light (M6 mounting screws) along with the OEM turn signals...the turn signals were easy enough to mount, but the tail light required some grinding/drilling...

I had to remove the center piece of metal, and grind out ~ a nickel's diameter in the upper part to allow the license plate light wiring to clear the bracket...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBR Tidy Tail 01.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	1045

Then, two 5/16" holes needed to be drilled to allow for the M8 shoulder size of the OEM tail light mounting screws...unfortunately I did not make a jig, or use a drill press, so mine needed to be "massaged" for proper tail light centering... The license plate also needed some trimming for these holes to clear, and for the wiring to pass through...

Name:	EBR Tidy Tail 02.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	413.4 KB 
ID:	1046

If you want to re-use the OEM screws for mounting the kit to the tail, the brackets will need the same 5/16" holes enlargement for the screw shoulders be recessed in the bracket...

The final result turned out to look pretty good...all with using all OEM lights and wiring...

Name:	EBR Tidy Tail 03.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	645.5 KB 
ID:	1047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBR Tidy Tail 04.JPG 
Views:	614 
Size:	705.2 KB 
ID:	1048

Please post any custom tail mods that you have...love to see 'em...!

EBRforum Junkie
    Not too bad! That is a lot closer than mine. I just shortened the stalk on mine by cutting 3" out of the center, beveled it and then epoxied the front stalk inside of the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151121_104617_960.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	1057  

EBRforum Newb
    Truth be told, I liked the OEM tail light better than the tiny clear one that came with the Tail Tidy. I'm considering your option...

Thanks,

Al

EBRforum ProvNov
    If the OEM tail light mounting studs were flat (instead of at an angle) it could have been mounted to the upper flat portion that the R&G tail light mounts to...and would have been even closer to the tail, with no license plate grinding... Alas...adapt and overcome...

Thanks for checking it out!

EBRforum Junkie
    I also did the modification of the stock assembly.
    Cost...a coupla hours and some JB Weld epoxy.

Mines a bit closer than "buell-fan's" is.

I hate paying exorbitant/over inflated prices that these aftermarket guys get. So...when I can, I build/modify myself.

Mike

EBRforum ProvNov
    I hear you... I just wanted to keep my stock part un-modified...in case I ever want to go back to the OEM look...either for myself, or re-sale value...

EBRforum Junkie
    I just installed a universal license plate kit (Cycle Gear $55), and bought the NCCR block off plate (has the tongue $80).

I have all the original stock parts in case I decide to go back, although I did repurpose the shorter turn signals from the rear to the front:

Only complaint is that where I wanted to mount the plate (the more vertical spot on the undertail), I needed access to the bolt for the seat. As a temporary solution, I just cut a hole in the plate. On version 2.0, I'll probably come up with a spring mount that I can pivot out of the way to gain access to the bolt.

I am seriously considering ditching my R&G tail tidy for one that is tucked under. Is that a StreetFX integrated plate frame?

EBRforum ProvNov
    Very nice... :)

EBRforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryS1980 View Post
    I am seriously considering ditching my R&G tail tidy for one that is tucked under. Is that a StreetFX integrated plate frame?
    Yep, that was the brand name. You have to buy the license plate kit, plus a mounting hardware kit. On sale, it cost me about $55.